This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1273 / 55°7'38"N
Longitude: -1.5029 / 1°30'10"W
OS Eastings: 431799
OS Northings: 581546
OS Grid: NZ317815
Mapcode National: GBR K9Y4.FT
Mapcode Global: WHC30.WDJ6
Entry Name: Police Station
Listing Date: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371413
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236000
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: Blyth
Built-Up Area: Blyth (Northumberland)
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blyth St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BLYTH BRIDGE STREET
NZ 3181 NE
10/36 Police Station
Police station, 1896, by John Cresswell, the County Architect. Red brick in
Flemish bond with ashlar dressings and carved red sandstone panels; Lakeland
slate roofs with terracotta ridges and finials, wrought-iron rails and wooden
belfry with leaded fleche. Irregular F-plan with convergent ranges to rear.
Free Gothic style.
Front in 3 sections. Centre 3 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, moulded
strings, carved panels below windows. 3 steps up to central panelled double
doors with lion bosses, flanked by black marble piers carrying carved lintel
with chained mastiffs and panel inscribed 'POLICE STATION'. Circular carved
panel with date and County Council arms under gable. Bays at each side set
back at 1st floor level and flanked by octagonal turrets with pyramid caps.
Slightly lower end bays have shafted doorways with lintels inscribed MAGISTRATES
(left) and SOLICITORS (right). Steep hipped roof with gabled dormers and central
octagonal belfry with openwork sides and panelled spire.
Right part 3 storeys, 4 bays; right bay set forward with corbelled-out angle
turrets and octagonal pavilion roof with dormers and decorative balcony rails.
Right corner canted back, with oriel; 8-bay right return with 2 similar projecting
bays. Plainer left part 2 storeys, 5 irregular bays; 2nd bay set forward with
corbelled-out angle turrets and pavilion roof. Above and behind, lofty square
ventilation tower had corbelled-out stage with angle turrets and pedimented
gables, below octagonal upper shaft with moulded cap. To left attached moulded
gate piers with gabled caps hold diagonally-boarded double doors.
Paired windows with shouldered, arched and cusped heads; much carved detail.
Openwork and arcaded parapets. Tall stepped-and-corniced stacks.
Interior: Several stairs with wrought-iron balustrades. Courtroom has coved
canopy with pediment over tribunal, and collar-beam roof on chevron-carved
corbels. Magistrates' retiring room (now Courtroom No. 2) has carved mantelpiece
and panelled plaster ceiling. Contemporary stained glass.
Listing NGR: NZ3179981546
Other nearby listed buildings