This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0859 / 55°5'9"N
Longitude: -1.583 / 1°34'58"W
OS Eastings: 426713
OS Northings: 576910
OS Grid: NZ267769
Mapcode National: GBR K9DM.2N
Mapcode Global: WHC35.NFCD
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 24 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236025
Location: Cramlington, Northumberland, NE23
Civil Parish: Cramlington
Built-Up Area: Cramlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cramlington St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CRAMLINGTON CRAMLINGTON VILLAGE
NZ 27 NE
4/61 Church of
Parish Church, 1868 by Austin and Johnson, adapted from earlier Dobson design.
Squared stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slates except for Lakeland slates on
south aisle; red tile ridge cresting. 4-bay aisled nave with west tower and
north porch. 2-bay chancel with organ chamber and vestry on north. Free C13
style. Stepped buttresses, plinth and sill string. Nave has double and triple
lancets on north and south, 2-light plate-tracery windows in ends of aisles,
gabled north porch with boarded double doors, showing scrolly ironwork, in
moulded arch; and clerestorey of sexfoiled circles. Tall 3-stage tower with
north-west stair turret, 2-light west window and bell openings of 2 lights
within multi-chamfered arch, in sunk panel below carved cornice. Clockface on
west of 2nd stage. Chancel has wall arcade on south above high-set string,
incorporating two 2-light windows; angle buttresses, and 3-light plate tracery
east window. Set against south wall, headstone of Dorothy Gillespy d.1776 with
hand holding book in front of arrow and trumpet; scrolled foliage at sides,
Interior: Nave arcades show pointed arches of 2 orders on round piers with
foliage-carved caps in late C12 style. Tall tower arch of 2 hollow-chamfered
orders. Similar chancel arch, on responds of paired columns, has hoodmould
with headstops. Arch to organ chamber on foliage-carved responds. Trefoil-
headed aumbry in chancel. Roofs with arch-braced collar-beam trusses, those in
nave on moulded corbels. Contemporary stone reredos with St. Cuthbert's Cross
and symbols of evangelists. Rood loft of 1896 with carved pendant tracery.
Romanesque font with inlaid marble panels; small C18 font in north aisle with
cable-moulded bowl on octagonal shaft. Funeral hatchment of Adam Mansfield de
Cardonnel-Lawson, 1820, in south aisle. Memorial to George Henry Shum-Storey,
1869, by font; marble sculpture of angel and cross. Windows by Cottier,1868 in
north and south (wise and foolish virgins) aisles.
The medieval chapel of St. Nicholas, rebuilt in late C17, stood at NZ 26717688,
a short distance south of the present church.
Listing NGR: NZ2671376910
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings