History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eslington Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittingham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4028 / 55°24'9"N

Longitude: -1.9343 / 1°56'3"W

OS Eastings: 404259

OS Northings: 612093

OS Grid: NU042120

Mapcode National: GBR G5YZ.12

Mapcode Global: WHB0B.8G5J

Entry Name: Eslington Park

Listing Date: 21 October 1953

Last Amended: 3 September 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371446

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236195

Location: Whittingham, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Whittingham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Glanton

Listing Text

WHITTINGHAM ESLINGTON PARK
NU 01 SW
9/110 Eslington Park
21/10/53 (formerly listed as
Eslington Hall)

GV II*

Country house. 1715-20 with additions of 1796. For the Liddells, Earls of
Ravensworth. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. U-shaped in plan. Classical
style. 2 storeys.

Entrance front 9 bays with 3-bay addition of 1796 to left. Original section
has rusticated quoins and central Tuscan porch with triglyph frieze. 12-pane
sashes in architraves, those in older part renewed, those in 1796 part of
slightly different proportions. Original section has projecting moulded cornice
and plain parapet; later section has smaller cornice and honeycomb parapet.
Garden front 9 bays. Slightly-projecting outer bays have rusticated quoins.
Half-glazed central door in Ionic porch with pulvinated frieze and modillion
cornice. 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars in architraves. Moulded
cornice and plain parapet.

Hipped roof with corniced ridge stack.

Interior: Entrance hall has screen of 2 Corinthiin columns, simple early C19
stair with coved plaster ceiling. 1st floor landing has screen of Corinthian
columns to left and Venetian screen on right. All decoration, except the stairs,
is a mid-C20 replica of the original. one'early C18 staircase remains in east
wing with one twisted and one columnar baluster to a tread.
Single-storey garage to rear of entrance front, not of special interest.
Further mid C19, single-storey addition to left of entrance front forms part
of stable block. (q.v.).

Northumberland County History Vol. XIV.


Listing NGR: NU0425912093

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.