This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4009 / 55°24'3"N
Longitude: -1.8922 / 1°53'31"W
OS Eastings: 406924
OS Northings: 611884
OS Grid: NU069118
Mapcode National: GBR H57Z.4R
Mapcode Global: WHB0B.XH3Z
Entry Name: Whittingham Tower and Attached Cottage
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236208
Location: Whittingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Whittingham
Built-Up Area: Whittingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WHITTINGHAM ROAD TO CALLALY
NU 0611-0711 (North side, off)
25/123 Whittingham Tower
21.10.53 and attached cottage
Towerhouse, which became ruinous and was converted into almshouses. Late C13 or
early C14,, remodelled 1845 by Countess Ravensworth; cottage C18 or early C19.
Squared medieval masonry below, apparently of 2 periods with more massive earlier
work in the lower courses and possibly C16 masonry above. Ashlar in C19 sections.
On south, west and north sides medieval masonry reaches to 2nd floor sill level,
on east side to 1st floor window only.
3 storeys. Square.
Ground floor doorway on south side has medieval jambs and C17 round-headed top
with continuous chamfer.
On east side, 4 steps with iron railings up to Tudor-headed door of 1845 with
By the munificense of Piety of
This ancient Tower which was formerly
Used by the village as a place of refuge
In time of rapine and insecurity
Was repaired and otherwise embellished
For the use and benefit of the deserving Poor.
Windows, all of 1845, are 1- and 2-light diamond-paned casements in chamfered
C19 battlemented parapet, projecting on close-set rounded corbels. Higher
turret in north-east corner.
Interior has walls 8% ft, thick. Tunnel-vaulted ground floor.
Attached, altered cottage with stone-slate roof on west side. Birthplace, in
1745, of Henry Ogle, inventor of the threshing machine.
Northumberland County History: Vol. XIV.
Listing NGR: NU0692411884
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings