This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4008 / 55°24'2"N
Longitude: -1.8886 / 1°53'18"W
OS Eastings: 407152
OS Northings: 611873
OS Grid: NU071118
Mapcode National: GBR H57Z.XS
Mapcode Global: WHB0B.YJT2
Entry Name: Castle Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236236
Location: Whittingham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Whittingham
Built-Up Area: Whittingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
25/151 Castle Farmhouse
Farm house, formerly part of the Castle Inn, a coaching inn. Early C18
incorporating earlier core. Mid C18 extension to rear. Re-roofed 1863.
Squared stone, c.36 inches thick on front wall ground and 1st floors. Thick
walling also on right gable end. Welsh slate roof, renewed brick chimneys.
Mid C18 brick extension to rear in irregular bond.
2½ storeys, 5 bays.
Central 6-panel door in chamfered raised surround with stone cornice hood on
later stone brackets. Sash windows, those on ground floor in raised stone
surrounds, those above in architraves. Concave cornice. Gabled roof, though
roof marks on adjoining Castle Inn (q.v.) and also inside, reveal that there
was formerly a double span roof. Gablet over centre bay dated 1863 with the
To rear small blocked windows, probably C17. Projecting single-storey, 1-bay
addition with pantiled roof and tumbled-in brickwork in the gable.
Interior has early C18 staircase with turned balusters and ramped and wreathed
handrail. Also many 2-panel doors.
Listing NGR: NU0715211873
Other nearby listed buildings