This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0745 / 52°4'28"N
Longitude: -1.219 / 1°13'8"W
OS Eastings: 453622
OS Northings: 242075
OS Grid: SP536420
Mapcode National: GBR 8V3.YDC
Mapcode Global: VHCW9.T4D1
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234414
Location: Marston St. Lawrence, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Marston St Lawrence
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Marston Saint Lawrence St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
MARSTON ST. LAWRENCE HIGH STREET
SP54SW (East side)
7/143 Church of St. Lawrence
Parish church. C13 and C14 with Perpendicular additions. Coursed squared
ironstone and limestone. Chancel, nave and aisles, north porch, west tower. East
chancel window is Perpendicular of 4 lights. North and south chancel windows,
also Perpendicular, have 2 lights with transoms. All south aisle windows are
late Perpendicular of 2- and 3- arched uncusped lights with square heads. North
porch Victorian. North doorway Decorated, with continuous mouldings. North aisle
has 2- and 3-light Decorated windows with flowing tracery and hoods with head
stops. Clerestory, Perpendicular, has windows with 2 cusped ogee lights and
square heads. Perpendicular west tower of 3 stages with castellated parapet.
Interior: Chancel has C14 sedilia with 3 seats under a crocketed ogee canopies.
Piscina of same date. Easter sepulchre with ogee arched recess. Flanking altar
are 2 canopied niches with crocketed pinnacles. Stairs to former rood-loft
between chancel and south aisle. South arcade C13 of four bays with round piers
and moulded capitals and double hollow-chamfered arches. North arcade,
Decorated, of 4 bays with 2 continuous chamfered orders. Nave roof C14-C15 with
tracery in spandrels. South aisle roof late Perpendicular with rosette bosses.
Font C14-C15 octagonal with blind tracery. Screen in tower arch dated 1610,
partly made up from a reredos with panels inscribed with Creed and Lord's
Prayer, has 4 half-columns ornamented with bosses and diamond studding.
Elaborately carved entablature surmounted by scrolls and 4 figures. Screen in
north aisle, Perpendicular. C18 wall tablets include memorial to Sir John
Blencowe died 1726 signed by Edward Stanton and Horsnaile. Architectural tablet
with urn and cartouche. William Walmesley died 1809 by R. Westmacott. Marble
tablet with scroll pediment and Adam style decoration.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p. 302-3).
Listing NGR: SP5362242075
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings