History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Marston House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marston St. Lawrence, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0754 / 52°4'31"N

Longitude: -1.2181 / 1°13'5"W

OS Eastings: 453683

OS Northings: 242180

OS Grid: SP536421

Mapcode National: GBR 8V3.YMS

Mapcode Global: VHCW9.T3WB

Entry Name: Marston House

Listing Date: 11 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234423

Location: Marston St. Lawrence, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Marston St Lawrence

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Marston Saint Lawrence St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Greatworth

Listing Text

MARSTON ST. LAWRENCE HIGH STREET
SP54SW (East side)
7/152 Marston House
11/09/53
- II*


Country House. C16-C17, incorporating medieval work. Remodelled c.1730, C19
additions. Squared coursed ironstone and limestone, stone slate roof, stone
stacks. Garden front U-plan, irregular rear and sides. Garden front to south, 2
storeys with attic, 5 bays. Central doorway has Gibbs surround with triangular
pediment and 6-panel door. 2 windows on each side with plain stone frames and
8-pane sashes. Similar windows first floor, straight moulded stone parapet, 2
gabled attic dormers. Gabled roof with central stack. Projecting wings on each
side separately roofed, 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays, have 8 pane sash windows in
plain stone frames, straight moulded stone parapets, gabled attic dormers,
hipped roofs. C19 extension to right, with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays
has 8 pane sash windows with stone lintels. Entrance front on north has
projecting 2 storey centre block of 3 irregular bays with hipped roof. Doorway
with eared architrave, scroll pediment on brackets and 6-panel door with
fanlight. Sash window on either side with plain stone frames. Similar windows on
first floor. Left of central projection on first floor are 2 late C17 two-light
windows with wood mullions and transoms and leaded panes. To right of centre,
one bay block containing staircase has 2 one-light windows with leaded panes on
ground floor, large sash window with arched head above, and hipped roof. West
(right) side is said to have 2 blocked stone mullioned windows, obscured by
foliage at time of survey. Wing projecting left of entrance front: 2 storeys and
attic, 3 bays, with sash windows. Interior: Central block, former medieval hall,
has C14 arch-braced timber roof. Smoking Room on ground floor has early C17
panelling. Elaborately carved overmantel with date 1611 has 4 half columns
decorated with bosses and strapwork, framing arched centrepiece with heraldic
shield, strapwork and carved head. Square side panels with grotesque heads in
strapwork frames. Walls have fluted pilasters of composite order and carved
frieze of rosettes and bosses. Blocked doorway with carved wooden pediment in
wall to right of entrance. Study has fireplace with projecting wall above it
supported on 2 stone Doric columns. Fireplace has early C18 stone bolection
moulded surround. C14 stone head corbels reset around study walls. Drawing Room
fireplace c.1750 (brought from elsewhere), wood and terracotta, has eared
architrave and frieze with swags of flowers in relief. Early C18 open-well
staircase with 3 turned balusters to each tread and tread ends carved with
acanthus scrolls. The newel posts are fluted Doric columns. First floor room has
panelling of c.1600 with frieze of acanthus scrolls. Stone fireplace with
4-centred arch and carved wooden overmantel with blind arcading, strapwork and
crest. Early C18 bolection panelling in bedrooms and first floor corridor which
has C16-C17 stained glass shields with coats of arms of Blencowe family in the
windows. The gardens were landscaped in the C18 and have a chain of 5 lakes. In
a garden wall west of the house is a re-set stone dated 1569. The house belonged
to the Blencowe family from the C16 until c.1955. A west wing was burnt down
c.1920.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.302-2; Robert Taylor (R.C.H.M.) pers.
comm.).


Listing NGR: SP5368342180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.