History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II* Listed Building in Helmdon, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0839 / 52°5'2"N

Longitude: -1.1402 / 1°8'24"W

OS Eastings: 459011

OS Northings: 243186

OS Grid: SP590431

Mapcode National: GBR 8V7.6K4

Mapcode Global: VHCW5.6W2C

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 9 February 1969

Last Amended: 22 June 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234517

Location: Helmdon, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Helmdon

Built-Up Area: Helmdon

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Helmdon St Mary Magdelene with Stuchbury and Radstone

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Helmdon

Listing Text

HELMDON CHURCH STREET
SP54SE, SP5843 (East side)
5/7 14/7 Church of St. Mary Magdalene
04/02/69 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary Magdelen)

GV II*

Church. C14. West tower rebuilt 1823, restored 1841, and 1876 by E.F. Law.
Coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs except for chancel - slate, and porches -
plain tile. Chancel, north chancel vestry and organ chamber, nave, north and
south aisles and porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light east window with
intersecting tracery, 2-light north window with ogee-arched head and reticulated
tracery and remains of piscina with cusped head incorporated in wall beside east
door to C19 vestry, a 3-light south-east window similar to that to north, and
one-light south-west low side window with ogee head and trefoil. Nave has
clerestory with 4 2-light windows to north and 3 to south with 4-centred heads.
North aisle has C19 east extension overlapping chancel and 2-light Decorated
windows throughout. North door has simple pointed arch. North porch has
hollow-chamfered doorway with 4-centred head, cut spandrels, small blocked
one-light window above and rectangular windows north and south with chamfered
surrounds and ironstone infill with cross ventilation slits. South aisle has
2-light Decorated south and east windows with cusped Y-tracery and 2-light arch
mullion window to west. South porch similar to north with blank arch above door
inscribed JHP/JH/CHWDS/AD/1841. 3-stage west tower has west door with 4-centred
head and 2-light arch-mullion window above. Datestone to middle stage west side
inscibed REBUILT/1823. 2-light bell openings with cusped Y-tracery. Diagonal
buttresses, battlemented parapets and corner pinnacles. Church has chamfered
plinth, string course, stepped to chancel, plain stone-coped parapets to aisles
and clerestory, and stone-coped gables to chancel and porches. Diagonal
buttresses to chancel. All windows and doors except for small side windows of
porches have hood moulds, some with carved label stops. Interior: chancel has
stepped string course, C19 stone reredos with painted angels and fine 3-bay
sedilia and piscina with ogee cusped heads, crocketted hood moulds and
pinnacles; chamfered priest's door to north with ogee head and hood mould.
Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner arch on polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay
arcades with octagonal piers, capitals, and double-chamfered archs. C19 roofs
throughout except for moulded ties and purlins of nave roof, possible C15.
Medieval stained glass fragments in heads of aisle windows ad canopy heads in
south-east chancel windows, including figure of mason in north-east aisle
window. Tomb recess with Purbeck marble tomb slab with foliated cross. C17
communion table in south aisle. Complete set of C19 pitch pine furnishings,
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.253; Kelly's Directory for Northants,
1928)


Listing NGR: SP5901143186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.