This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0744 / 52°4'27"N
Longitude: -1.2741 / 1°16'26"W
OS Eastings: 449851
OS Northings: 242032
OS Grid: SP498420
Mapcode National: GBR 7SQ.W5X
Mapcode Global: VHCW8.V4T2
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234436
Location: Middleton Cheney, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, OX17
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Middleton Cheney
Built-Up Area: Middleton Cheney
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Middleton Cheney All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
MIDDLETON CHENEY CHURCH LANE
SP4942 (East side)
11/165 Church of All Saints
Church. Early C14 with Perpendicular tower. Restored 1865 by Sir G.G. Scott.
Squared uncoursed ironstone and ironstone ashlar, lead and stone slate roofs.
Chancel with north vestry, aisled nave with clerestory. South porch, west tower.
Windows in chancel and aisles all have early C14 geometric tracery (some renewed
C19). 4-light east window in chancel, 2-light windows in side walls. 3-light
east windows in aisles, 2-light windows in side walls. C14 gabled south porch
with stone vault carried on transverse arch with head corbels and tracery motifs
above it. Inner doorway, early C14, has jamb shafts with bell capitals and hood
with head stops. Medieval studded plank door with its original wicket. North
doorway C14, with continuous mouldings. West tower of 3 stages, has cornice with
gargoyles; castellated parapet with blind tracery and a pair of pinnacles at
each corner linked to the octagonal spine by flying buttresses. Elaborately
carved west doorway has continuous mouldings set with rosettes flanked by small
figures of the Virgin Mary and angel Gabriel. Square hood with a frieze of
angels with outspread wings. 3-light window above with panel tracery and 2-light
traceried bell openings. Interior: Piscina in chancel has cusped arch and gabled
hood with head stops. C14 chancel arch, responds altered C19. 4-bay nave arcades
with quatrefoil piers, arches of 2 orders and hoods with head stops.
Perpendicular roofs in chancel and nave have stone head corbels and C19 painted
decoration. Perpendicular font, octagonal, carved with rosettes. Perpendicular
polygonal pulpit with blind tracery and C19 painted decoration. Perpendicular
chancel screen with cresting by Sir G.G. Scott. Benches Perpendicular. Mosaics
at west ends of aisles by Powell and Son, that in north aisle designed by
Holiday. Important collection of stained glass by the William Morris firm. East
window of chancel. 1864-5 designed by William Morris, Philip Mebb, E
Burne-Jones and Ford Maddox Brown, who also designed other windows in the
chancel and aisles. Burne-Jones was a friend of the vicar W.C. Buckley (died
1892). He designed his own memorial window in the chancel in collaboration with
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p. 304-6; A.C. Sewter: The Stained Glass
of William Morris and his Circle, Yale 1974-5, 2 Vols. Catalogue volume,
Listing NGR: SP4985142032
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings