History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittlebury, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0921 / 52°5'31"N

Longitude: -0.9948 / 0°59'41"W

OS Eastings: 468960

OS Northings: 244230

OS Grid: SP689442

Mapcode National: GBR 9WK.THM

Mapcode Global: VHDSP.PPX1

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234626

Location: Whittlebury, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Whittlebury

Built-Up Area: Whittlebury

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Whittlebury St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Whittlebury

Listing Text

WHITTLEBURY CHURCH WAY
SP64SE (West side)
7/116 Church of St. Mary
17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, restored 1870 by J.P. St. Aubyn at expense of Sir Reginald
Loder of Whittlebury Lodge, tower raised 1887. Coursed squared limestone and
ironstone, plain tile roofs. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave, north and
south aisles, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light east window
with geometrical tracery, 2-light Decorated style windows to south, all with
hood moulds. Vestry and organ chamber to north with 3-light Decorated window to
north with hood mould, hollow-chamfered door to north-west and 3-light
straight-headed window to organ chamber. North aisle has tall 4-light arch
mullion window to north-east of ironstone, with cut spandrels and hood mould, a
stone inscribed 'GW' to left of head, another to right inscribed 'IR 1775', a
buttress to middle of north wall, blocked chamfered north door with hood mould
and 2-light window to north-west with Y-tracery of ironstone and hood mould with
label stops, datestone inscribed '1638' to north-west corner and rose window of
1870 to west with hood mould, tall plain stone-coped parapet and chamfered
plinth to north-east bay. South aisle has 2-light Decorated style windows to
south and one-light window to east with quatrefoil in head with hood mould.
South door has sunk-quadrant moulded arch and hood mould in south porch with
double sunk-quadrant moulded arch with hood mould. 3-stage west tower has
chamfered west door with hood mould, 1-light windows to middle stage recessed in
chamfered surround, stone clock face to middle stage. South inscribed 'Thomas
Cooke, 1808', 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and hood moulds, diagonal
buttresses and battlemented parapet. Chancel, south aisle and porch have stone
chamfered eaves and stone-coped gables. Interior: chancel has encaustic tiled
floors and elaborate marble reredos with 3 mosaic panels above altar, piscina
with 2 pointed trefoil arches and corner colonette in splay of south-east window
and fine C19 arch-braced collar-truss roof. Nave has 3-bay arcades with
octagonal piers and polygonal responds except for semi-circular respond with
shaft, to south-west, plain moulded capitals, and double-chafmered arches. Fine
C19 crown-post roof. Tower arch has chamfered jambs, moulded imposts, arch
chamfered to head with nailhead and beaded fillet surround and outer arch with
similar ornament; nutmeg frieze higher up on west wall. Floor of south porch of
slate laid edgewise in square blocks, in alternating directions. Parish chest of
c.1300 with fine ironwork. C19 stained glass windows in north-east and
south-east aisle windows and east and south-east chancel windows. Cl9 marble
wall monuments including large monument to Charlotte Bradshaw d.1820 by Chatney.

(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, pp.460-1 Kelly's Directory for
Northamptonshire, 1928).


Listing NGR: SP6896044230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.