History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Litchborough, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1829 / 52°10'58"N

Longitude: -1.0761 / 1°4'33"W

OS Eastings: 463266

OS Northings: 254257

OS Grid: SP632542

Mapcode National: GBR 9VG.4RN

Mapcode Global: VHCVT.9DGD

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371572

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234746

Location: Litchborough, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Litchborough

Built-Up Area: Litchborough

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Lichborough St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Farthingstone

Listing Text

LITCHBOROUGH BANBURY ROAD
SP65SW (South side)
6/116 Church of St. Martin
17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, some work of C15; restored 1883, by Albert Hartshorne. Coursed
ironstone rubble, coursed squared ironstone, ironstone and limestone dressings,
lead roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and west tower. 2-bay
chancel has 5-light Perpendicular east window with straight head, 3-light
windows north and south with reticulated tracery and ogee-arched heads and
1-light low side windows north and south with cusped ogee-arched heads.
Chamfered arched priest's door to south. Chamfered plinth, offset diagonal
buttresses, offset buttresses between bays and chamfered string course at sill
level stepped over low-side windows and door as hood mould. Nave has 4-bay
clerestory of quatrefoil windows, except for 2-light straight-headed window at
east end either side which have ogee-arched lights; all in square chamfered
stone surrounds. 3-light straight-headed windows to north side of nave with
pointed trefoil heads to lights of middle window, reticulated tracery to those
either side. Many-moulded north door with shafts to outer arch, moulded capitals
and hood mould. Carved stone above with heads and ithyphallic figure. offset
buttresses between bays, offset diagonal buttress to east angle. South aisle has
3-light east window with intersecting tracery, a 2-light window with Y-tracery
to south-east, and 2-light straight-headed windows with trefoil-headed lights to
east of porch and at west end of aisle; lancet window to west side of porch.
South door similar to north door in gabled porch with double-chamfered doorway,
blacked windows north and south and obelisk finial to gable. 3-stage west tower
has chamfered west door, cusped ogee-headed 1-light window above, polygonal
stair turret to south, one-light window to middle stage north with cusped head
and 2-light Decorated bell-chamber openings. Diagonal offset buttresses and
battlmented parapet. Plain stone-coped parapets to rest of church. All windows
and doors have hood moulds, except for clerestory and porch windows. Interior:
chancel has ogee-arched piscina and trefoil-headed sedilia. Double-chamfered
chancel arch with polygonal responds and moulded capitals. Nave has 4-bay
double-chamfered south arcade with octagonal piers, polygonal responds and
moulded capitals; part of round-arched head of former clerestory. window now
blocked. South or Foxley aisle has piscina with pointed trefoil head.
Triple-chamfered tower arch, 2 outer arches dying into wall. Tie-beam roof to
nave dated 1814. Plain round font with C17 octagonal pyramidal cover with ball
finials. 7-sided C17 pulpit. One panelled box pew (hall pew), rest C19
incorporating cut-down box pew panelling. 3 hatchments, oil on canvas. Medieval
stained glass to heads of 2 windows on north side. Shield in head of lancet
window to south-west with symbol of Trinity, probably also medieval. C19 stained
glass window to south aisle and tower: east window of 1889. Monuments: brass
plate on plain slab in nave to Henry Boughton d.1614. Wall monument and
alabaster effigy on tomb chest to Sir John Needham d.1618. Wall monument is
dated 1633 and has gadrooned surround to inscription. flanked by columns, apron
with cherub's head, vine trail frieze and cartouche of arms above, flanked by
finials incorporating other smaller cartouches. Another inscription on
tomb-chest where Sir John Needham is referred to as GENTLEMAN PENSIONER UNTO
THE LATE QUEENE/ELIZABETH OF HAPPIE MEMORIE AND AFTERWARD UNTO OUR LATE
GOVERAIGNE LORD KING JAMES' Horizontal oval white marble wall monument to
Thomas Grant d,1803. Wall 'monument to Edward Grant, d.1812, and Jane Grant,
d,t?il, signed C. Prasperi, London, with mourning cherub leaning on down-turned
torch, seated on inscription plaque. Almost life-sized angel on plinth erected
by Edward Grant, 1907, recording names on plinth of all members of family buried
in vault below, Female angel has upturned left arm and holds scroll in right
hand inscribed UNTIL/THE DAY/DAWN.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, pp.291 and 292; Kelly's Directory for
Northamptonshire, 1928; 'Litchborough in Northamptonshire', A short history of
village and church (leaflet).


Listing NGR: SP6326654257

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.