History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Blisworth, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1742 / 52°10'27"N

Longitude: -0.9408 / 0°56'26"W

OS Eastings: 472529

OS Northings: 253410

OS Grid: SP725534

Mapcode National: GBR BWZ.NZ1

Mapcode Global: VHDSB.NM03

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234841

Location: Blisworth, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Blisworth

Built-Up Area: Blisworth

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Blisworth St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Blisworth

Listing Text

SP 7254 BLISWORTH HIGH STREET
(South side)
10/18 Church of St. John the Baptist
17/05/60

GV II*

Church. C14 and C15 with C13 origins, restored 1856 by E.F. Law. South aisle
rebuilt 1926. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, slate and lead roofs.
Chancel nave, north and south aisles, north porch and west tower. 3-bay chancel
has 5-light east window with unusual Decorated tracery, 3-light Perpendicular
windows to north with four-centred heads, small blocked low-side window to
north-west with cusped head and cut spandrels, similar Perpendicular window to
south-west and two 2-light C13 windows to south that furthest east with
trefoil-in-circle to head, the other with Y tracery; all have hood moulds.
Another blocked low-side window to south-west with double-chamfered stone
surround. Chancel has offset diagonal buttresses and offset buttresses between
bays, and plain stone-coped parapet. Nave has 3-bay clerestory with 2-light
Perpendicular windows and hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Large 1-light window to
south-west end of nave formerly traceried. South aisle stops short of south-west
bay of nave and has large 5-light window to south-east under gable with straight
head, and 3-light window to south with 4-centred head; both have hood moulds.
Moulded and double-hollow-chamfered south door with hood mould. North aisle has
3-light east window with straight head, wide 1-light windows to north-east and
2-light window to south-west, all with 4-centred heads and 2-light window to
west with chamfered stone mullion and straight head; all have hood moulds.
Double hollow-chamfered and moulded north door in porch with datestone inscribed
AD1607/WB CM above hollow-chamfered doorway and 1-light windows either side with
cusped heads; hood moulds to doors and windows. 3-stage west tower is banded
with ironstone to lowest stage and has 2-light C19 Decorated-style west window,
small 1-light window above and to south, clock face in circular stone surround
to north and 2-light bell-chamber openings with cusped heads to lights,
quatrefoil to head and hood moulds; off-set angle buttresses and battlemented
parapet. Interior: chancel has hollow-chamfered piscina with projecting bowl on
shaft. Double-chamfered chancel arch, continuous outermost, polygonal responds
and moulded capitals innermost. Nave has 3-bay arcade to south with octagonal
piers, moulded bases and capitals, that to west with quatrefoil and trefoil
frieze, and double-chamfered arches to polygonal responds. Similar 5-bay arcade
to north with chamfered bases. Plain tub font attached to west pier of north
arcade. Tall C15 rood screen with 1-light divisions. C17 communion rail. Charity
board and another board formerly in tower commemorating a ring on 31st December
1790 and signed 'Rd Dunckley Clerk May 12 1791'. Royal Arms of George III, oil
on board. Some medieval stain-glass to heads of lights of north chancel window,
other C14 and C15 fragments to south chancel window. Stain-glass south-west
chancel window dated 1851. Late C19 stain glass to and north-east chancel
windows. Coloured glass to heads of clerestory windows and east window of north
aisle. Old crown glass panes to other windows, one inscribed God Save the
King/for Ever 1798. Monuments. Brass on chest tomb to Roger Wake, d.1504 and his
wife Elizabeth. Wide ogee-arched tomb recess adjacent. Stone wall monument to
Margaret Blackey wife of Lional Blackey, d.1673 who 'lived a Maide:18/yeares:a
wife 20 and a wid/ow 61'. Stone wall monument to Rebecca wife of Reverend
Jonothan Yates, whose inscription records she was the 'wife of my right hand
and/ioy fortie and foure yeares/ten monthes and one week'. Wall monument, oil on
board, to Robert Watson, schoolmaster, d.1794 and signed Richard Dunkley.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p108)


Listing NGR: SP7252953410

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.