History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Courteenhall House, Stable Block and Attached Coach Houses, Stables and Barn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Courteenhall, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1697 / 52°10'11"N

Longitude: -0.8888 / 0°53'19"W

OS Eastings: 476096

OS Northings: 252966

OS Grid: SP760529

Mapcode National: GBR BX1.XTF

Mapcode Global: VHDSC.KQ0K

Entry Name: Courteenhall House, Stable Block and Attached Coach Houses, Stables and Barn

Listing Date: 23 August 1955

Last Amended: 15 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371591

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234863

Location: Courteenhall, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Courteenhall

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Courteenhall

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Roade

Listing Text

SP 75 SE COURTEENHALL

5/40 Courteenhall House, stable
23/08/55 block and attached coach
houses, stable and barn
(Formerly listed as Stable
block)

GV II*

Stable block. Mid C18, altered C20. Limestone ashlar, hipped graded slate roofs.
2-storey, 15-window range. Central round-arched carriage arch with C20
double-leaf gates. Sash windows to ground floor with round-arched heads and
moulded stone surrounds. Square first floor 6-pane sash windows with moulded
stone surrounds. 3 central bays break forward and have attics with horizontal
oval windows with moulded stone surrounds, moulded stone eaves and pyramidal
roofs. That to left formerly housed dovecote. Quoins, string course at impost
level of ground floor windows and bracketed stone cornice. 1-storey, 3-bay
former coach houses flank yard to rear. Round-headed arches with imposts and
plain limestone ashlar piers, coursed squared stone above and hipped graded
slate roofs. 4th side of stable yard opposite a stable block is occupied by
central barn flanked by lower single-storey 3-bay stable wings for working
horses. Barn has tall central double-leaf doors to entrance end with blank
round-arched head. Wings have central 6-panel doors with overlights and moulded
stone surrounds flanked by stable windows with flat-arched stone heads. Plinth
and moulded stone eaves. Linked to main block by stone walls with plinth and
stone coping. Interior: converted into dwelling. Original open well staircase
from ground floor to attic with Chinese Chippendale style fretwork balustrade.
Round-headed stone niches to former stalls. Attributed to John Carr of York.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p166; Country Life: October 30th
1986, pp1388-1389)


Listing NGR: SP7609652966

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.