History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Charlock Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Abthorpe, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1001 / 52°6'0"N

Longitude: -1.0361 / 1°2'10"W

OS Eastings: 466120

OS Northings: 245075

OS Grid: SP661450

Mapcode National: GBR 9WH.8VY

Mapcode Global: VHDSP.0G3Y

Entry Name: Charlock Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 14 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371596

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235019

Location: Abthorpe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Abthorpe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Abthorpe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Silverstone

Listing Text

ABTHORPE BUCKNELL WOOD
SP64NE
6/1 Charlock Farmhouse and
01/12/51 attached outbuildings
(Formerly listed as Charlock
Farmhouse and farm buildings)

- II

Farmhouse. c.1840. Coursed squared limestone, hipped slate roofs, white brick
ridge and lateral stacks. 2-storey, 3-window central block with lower 2-storey,
2-window wings either side. Central double-leaf part-glazed door with panelled
reveals and shallow porch of unfluted Doric columns supporting full entablature
and pediment. 12-pane sash windows to ground and first floors. Those to central
block have stone lintels and keyblocks; those to wings have segmental-arched
heads. Central bay breaks forward and has low pedimental gable with string
course at base and blank rectangular sunk panel. Plinth and storey band to
central block. The symmetrical composition is completed by single-storey
outbuilding wings, each with 3 blank round-headed arches with stone sills. That
to left houses a 5-bay cartshed open to yard to rear on timber posts. That to
right houses various outbuildings and is joined to extensive, much altered range
of farm buildings, which largely encloses yard to rear. Interior: house has
open-well staircase with stick balusters and ramped and wreathed handrail. Stone
flagged floors. One of a number of model farms built for the 4th Duke of Grafton
1839-44.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.75; The Northamptonshire Landscape,
J. Steane, 1974, p.240-1).


Listing NGR: SP6612045075

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.