History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Adstone, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1574 / 52°9'26"N

Longitude: -1.1305 / 1°7'49"W

OS Eastings: 459578

OS Northings: 251371

OS Grid: SP595513

Mapcode National: GBR 8T8.P0Q

Mapcode Global: VHCVZ.C16G

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235043

Location: Adstone, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Adstone

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Adstone All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Maidford

Listing Text

ADSTONE BLAKESLEY LANE
SP55SE (North side)
1/25 Church of All Saints
17/05/60

- II

Church. C13 with C14 and C15 work, chancel of 1843 when the church was also
restored, re-seated 1869, new roof 1883. Coursed squared ironstone, plain tile
roofs except for lead roof to south aisle. Chancel, nave, south aisle, west
porch. One-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular style east window, with hood
mould, diagonal offset buttresses, chamfered plinth and stone-coped gable with
kneelers. Nave has 3-light Perpendicular window to north-east, blocked chamfered
north door, and 2-light Decorated window to north-west, all with hood moulds.
Clerestory to south has three small 2-light windows with straight heads, pointed
trefoil heads to lights and cut spandrels. South aisle has 2-light Decorated
east window and two 3-light chamfered stone mullion windows to south, all with
hood moulds; also quoins, chamfered plinth, stone bench to west and chamfered
stone eaves. West porch has chamfered doorway with 4-centred head and hood
mould. Chamfered west door within with hood mould. Single chamfered lancet
window to west end of nave above porch and bell-cote to west gable; angle
buttresses between bays to north, chamfered plinth, moulded stone eaves and
stone-coped gables with kneelers. Interior: nave has 3-bay north arcade with
circular piers, capitals and chamfered arches, chamfer continuous to east and
west ends. Blocked north door has round-headed arch inside. Octagonal stone font
dated 1843 on base with carved stem and bowl in archaic style; various arms
carved on sides of bowl including Royal Arms in lozenge. Ceramic C19 Lord's
Prayer and Creed tablets. Formerly a Chapelry of Canons Ashby, served until
Reformation by monks of Canons Ashby Priory.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.75; Kelly's Directory for
Northamptonshire, 1928).


Listing NGR: SP5957851371

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.