This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1319 / 52°7'54"N
Longitude: -0.9194 / 0°55'9"W
OS Eastings: 474066
OS Northings: 248726
OS Grid: SP740487
Mapcode National: GBR BXL.8DQ
Mapcode Global: VHDSK.0PT1
Entry Name: West Pavillion and Attached Quadrant Colonnade
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234965
Location: Shutlanger, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Shutlanger
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke Bruerne St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 74 NW SHUTLANGER STOKE PARK
7/148 West Pavilion and attached
01/12/51 quadrant colonnade
(Formerly listed as Stoke
Pavilion. c.1629-35 for Sir Francis Crane, altered late C18, restored 1970.
Brick carcase, faced with limestone and ironstone ashlar, hipped slate roof,
stone internal stack. 1 storey, attic and basement; 3-window range. Basement is
faced with ironstone and has central door with keyblocked moulded limestone
surround, flanked by square windows with similar surrounds. Basement forms
plinth with moulded limestone band at ground floor level and supports giant
order of Ionic pilasters defining bays. Ironstone pilasters with limestone bases
and capitals supporting entablature of ironstone with contrasting pulvinated
frieze and brown-painted moulded wood eaves. Central bay breaks forward
slightly, its pilasters supplemented by portions of 'shadow' pilasters either
side and has pediment. Late C18 central Venetian window with moulded limestone
head. Flanked by 15-pane sash windows with moulded ironstone surrounds, plain
friezes and moulded cornices; sills lowered late C18. Blind attic windows have
moulded stone surrounds topped by flat-arched heads of limestone with console
keyblocks, Pilasters and window dressings contrast with limestone-faced walling.
2-storey porch wing to right side facing former forecourt of house has similar
pilasters to angles and open ground floor with minor order of Ionic columns
supporting moulded limestone lintel. Porches to front and rear with similar
columns. Tall round-arched windows to 1st floor with moulded stone surrounds,
limestone imposts and console keyblocks, blind to front and rear. Pediments to
front and side bays shown in Vitruvius Britannicus replaced late C18 by hipped
roof. Quadrant colonnade begins to rear of porch wing; now ruinous. Interior:
single double-height rood formerly library, converted into ballroom late C18.
Coved plaster ceiling, fan motif above Venetian window. Room above porch is open
to ballroom and forms gallery. Basement has wide shallow brick vault, niches,
and entrance to brick-vaulted tunnel running between pavilions below colonnades.
Formed part of a tripartite composition with house destroyed by fire in 1886
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp415-6; Colen Campbell:
Vitruvius Britannicus III 1717, p1.9; Country Life: 23rd July 1953; Stoke Park,
Northamptonshire, Guide Book (no date).
Listing NGR: SP7406648726
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings