This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1642 / 52°9'51"N
Longitude: -1.0821 / 1°4'55"W
OS Eastings: 462880
OS Northings: 252166
OS Grid: SP628521
Mapcode National: GBR 9VN.973
Mapcode Global: VHCVT.6V9T
Entry Name: Seawell Grounds Farmhouse and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235047
Location: Blakesley, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Blakesley
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Blakesley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
2/29 Seawell Grounds Farmhouse and
01/12/51 attached outbuildings
(Formerly listed as Seawell
Farmhouse and farm buildings)
Farmhouse. c.1840, altered in C20 renovation. Coursed squared ironstone, hipped
slate roofs, stone ridge and internal stacks. 2-storey, 3-window central block
with lower 2-storey, 2-window wings either side. Central double-leaf,
part-glazed, door with panelled reveals and limestone porch with square columns
supporting plain frieze and cornice. 12-pane sash windows to ground and first
floors with flat-arched heads. Plinth, storey band and deep overhanging eaves.
Porch widened and rebuilt C20 and right ground floor window of left wing has had
sill dropped and made into garden door. Symmetrical composition completed by
single-storey outbuilding wings, each with 4 blank round-headed arches with
imposts. That to left housed cart-shed open to yard to rear, now garaging. That
to right is joined to extensive, altered range of farm buildings on three sides
of yard to rear. Interior has stone-flagged floors and some original stone
chimneypieces. Square pillars of porch originally circular, unfluted Doric
columns; changed in C20 alterations. One of a number of model farms built for
the 4th Duke of Grafton 1839-44.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p,107; The Northamptonshire Landscape,
J. Steane, 1974, p.240-1).
Listing NGR: SP6288052166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings