This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1528 / 52°9'10"N
Longitude: -1.0494 / 1°2'57"W
OS Eastings: 465132
OS Northings: 250926
OS Grid: SP651509
Mapcode National: GBR 9VP.ZDW
Mapcode Global: VHCW0.R5K0
Entry Name: Caswell Farmhouse and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 14 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235080
Location: Greens Norton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Greens Norton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Greens Norton St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
3/61 Caswell Farmhouse and attached
(Formerly listed as Caswell
Former farmhouse, now part of research establishment. c.1840 with extensive C20
alterations. Coursed squared ironstone, hipped slate roof, brick ridge and
lateral stacks. 2-storey, 3-window central block with lower 2-storey, 4-window
wings either side, rebuilt and enlarged C20. Central double-leaf part-glazed
door with panelled reveals and shallow limestone porch of unfluted Doric columns
supporting entablature with triglyphs to frieze and pediment. Tripartite sash
windows above door and to ground floor left and right, 12-pane sashes to first
floor left and right and to wings, except for tripartite sash to ground floor
centre of right wing. All windows have flat-arched heads and keyblocks. Central
bay of main block breaks forward and has low pedimental gable with string course
to base and blank rectangular sunk panel in gable; plinth, storey band,
chamfered quoins to angles and jambs of window, and deep overhanging eaves. The
symmetrical composition is completed by single storey outbuilding wings, now
converted to offices and extensively remodelled, with round-arched windows to
right wing. That to left is joined to extensive, much altered range of former
farm buildings, which largely enclosed former yard to rear. Interior: house has
some original stone chimneypieces and brick-lined cellar. One of 3 number of
model farms built for the 4th Duke of Grafton 1839-44.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, 1973, p.240; J. Steane, The
Northamptonshire Landscape, 1974, p.240-1).
Listing NGR: SP6513250926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings