This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1318 / 52°7'54"N
Longitude: -0.9882 / 0°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 469356
OS Northings: 248651
OS Grid: SP693486
Mapcode National: GBR 9W5.8Z9
Mapcode Global: VHDSH.TPG3
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 19 August 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235179
Location: Towcester, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Towcester
Built-Up Area: Towcester
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Towcester St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
TOWCESTER WATLING STREET EAST
13/158 No.86 (Town Hall)
Former Town Hall and corn exchange. 1865 by T.H. Vernon. Limestone ashlar,
banded with ironstone, hipped Welsh slate roof with ornamental ridge tiles and
wrought iron finials. Italianate style. 2 storeys and attic. 3-window range.
Complex plan. Central doorway with round-arched head, and keyblock on foliated
capitals with ears of wheat, flanked by pilasters with similar capitals
supporting console brackets bearing deep hood. Pair of 2-light windows to ground
floor with similar heads and capitals to middle piers, outer capitals with ivy
leafs; timber tracery. Smaller round-arched windows to first floor of 2 lights
to centre, 3 lights to left and right with pilasters outermost, red sandstone
columns innermost, stiff-leaf capitals and sash windows. Chamfered plinth, first
floor cornice, modiliioned eaves cornice, balustraded parapet and blank-arcaded
stone stacks to angles. Centre and ends project slightly, with pediment to
centre. Clock tower above with copper-clad belfry. 2-storey wing to rear right
of white brick in Flemish bond with segmental-arched sash windows and side door
with segmental-arched head with keyblock flanked by pilasters supporting
pediment. Bay with door is pedimented. Interior: fine hall with composite
pilasters, entablature with dentil cornice, coved arcaded vault to two sides
with ornamental glazing to round windows. South end wall has tall round-arched
panel with paterae to archivolt;2 small arches to north wall. Foundation stone
laid by the Earl of Pomfret, September 8th, 1865. The builder was J. Wheeler.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.434).
Listing NGR: SP6935648651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings