This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3363 / 52°20'10"N
Longitude: -0.7222 / 0°43'19"W
OS Eastings: 487159
OS Northings: 271679
OS Grid: SP871716
Mapcode National: GBR CWN.J77
Mapcode Global: VHDRP.FJKV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233511
Location: Little Harrowden, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN9
Civil Parish: Little Harrowden
Built-Up Area: Little Harrowden
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Little Harrowden St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
LITTLE HARROWDEN MAIN STREET
SP87SE (North side)
2/231 Church of St. Mary
Church. Late C12, C14, C17, mid C19 and C20. Regular coursed and squared coursed
ironstone and limestone with lead roof. Aisled nave and chancel. South elevation
of chancel of one-window range with 3-light C14 window with 4-centred head.
4-light east window with Y-tracery supporting a roundel with cusping. North
elevation of chancel of one-window range with late C13 two-light window with
blank bay alongside. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with
Y-tracery. Small door opening to right has single-chamfered pointed arch. Late
C12 door opening to left has semi-circular arch with 3 roll mouldings and an
outer zig-zag moulding supported on 3 orders of shafts with volute capitals.
Projecting stone surround to door opening has ashlar coping with inscribed stone
"AND DN 1602 CD IB". Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets, parts having quatrefoil
frieze. Mid C19 north aisle of 3-window range of 2-light Gothic windows with
2-stage buttresses between. Similar east and west windows. Nave clerestory of
3-window range of 2-light square head windows, one blocked to south. Shallow
gabled roof with ashlar parapets. West tower collapsed 1967. The base is now
formed into a single storey vestry with a re-used ashlar coping with a corbel
table below. C14 single-light window on west elevation. West wall of chancel
above the vestry has datestone 1970 with flanking buttresses, glazed tower arch
and bellcote at apex. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade. The south-east bay is an
early C13 double chamfered arch with polygonal responds. The 2 south-west bays
are probably late C13 double-chamfered arches with octagonal pier, separated
from the south-east arcade by a section of wall. North arcade is mid C19 of
double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Small early C19 double-chamfered
arch with polygonal responds between chancel and south aisle. Double-chamfered
tower arch now part glazed. Some original timbers may remain in the nave and
south aisle roofs. C14 piscinas in chancel and south aisle. Perpendicular rood
screen restored C19. Monuments: 2 early C19 marble tablets to Carwarden family
in west wall of south aisle. C19 font. Ribbed and braced door.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.293).
Listing NGR: SP8715971679
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings