History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vicarage, Chantry House, Bede House and Attached Carriage House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Finedon, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3383 / 52°20'17"N

Longitude: -0.6629 / 0°39'46"W

OS Eastings: 491193

OS Northings: 271975

OS Grid: SP911719

Mapcode National: GBR DY2.77M

Mapcode Global: VHFP5.GHDB

Entry Name: Vicarage, Chantry House, Bede House and Attached Carriage House

Listing Date: 23 September 1950

Last Amended: 12 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 233659

Location: Finedon, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN9

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough

Civil Parish: Finedon

Built-Up Area: Finedon

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Finedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Finedon

Listing Text

FINEDON CHURCH HILL
SP9172, SP9171 (West side)
6/8 7/8 Vicarage, Chantry House, Bede
House and attached carriage
house
(Formally listed as Vicarage
including east and west wings
and outbuildings)

GV II*

Vicarage, now vicarage and 2 houses. Datestones RA.1688. AR. and 1834, C18
additions. Built for Rogrt Altham. Squared coursed ironstone with Collyweston
slate roof. Originally probably 3-unit plan, now U-shaped. 2 storeys with attic.
7-window range. Central glazed door with C20 moulded wood surround. 4-light
wooden cross windows with leaded lights under wood lintels. 4 flat-top roof
dormers hav leaded lights. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers and bricks and
stone stacks at ridge and end. Datestone 1688 to first floor left of entrance.
Elevation to left of main front, now Chantry House, is probably C18 with some
sash windows. Elevation to right of main front, now Bede House, is similar with
datestone 1836 to right range. Late C18 coach house attached to Chantry house
has central carriage arch and 3 gables with hayloft doors. Interior: early C19
staircase with stick balustrade to first floor and C17 staircase with turnd
balustrade to attics. Panelled window reveals: some C17 and C18 panelled doors.
Remains of open fireplace in hall.


Listing NGR: SP9119371975

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.