This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.338 / 52°20'16"N
Longitude: -0.6605 / 0°39'37"W
OS Eastings: 491359
OS Northings: 271947
OS Grid: SP913719
Mapcode National: GBR DY2.FT8
Mapcode Global: VHFP5.HHNJ
Entry Name: Charity House and Attached Walls
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371768
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233670
Location: Finedon, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN9
Civil Parish: Finedon
Built-Up Area: Finedon
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Finedon St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
FINEDON CHURCH STREET
SP9171 (North side)
23/09/50 Charity House and attached
(Formerly listed as Girls
Girls school, now house. Datestone 1712. Squared coursed ironstone with
plain-tile roof. Orignally probably 4 unit plan. 2 storeys with attic and
cellar; 7-window range. Central C19 plank door has moulded stone surround with
segmental pediment and central cartouche. 4-light wood-mullion and transom cross
windows are C19 or C20 replacements in original openings under wood lintels.
2-light wood-mullion cellar window to left. Pair of flat-topped stone dormer
windows with C19 casements. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers with stone stacks
at ridge and end. Inscription over door "The charity school far girls Anne Dom
1712". Rear similar with 4-light wood-mullion and transom staircase window with
stained glass. Interior has C18 staircase with barley twist balustrade and room
to right of entrance has open fireplace with bressumer. Ironstone walls
attached, enclose small front garden and are linked by central cast-iron gates.
Endowed as a school for girls by Sir Gilbert Dolben.
Listing NGR: SP9135971947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings