This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2378 / 52°14'16"N
Longitude: -0.8931 / 0°53'35"W
OS Eastings: 475686
OS Northings: 260532
OS Grid: SP756605
Mapcode National: GBR BW8.P1M
Mapcode Global: VHDS5.G0QV
Entry Name: City Buildings
Listing Date: 31 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232290
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1
District Council Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: St Giles, Northampton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
The following building shall be included;
SP 7560 NE
2/602 City Buildings
Warehouse. 1900 by Alexander Ellis Anderson for Malcolm Inglis and Company,
Glasgow. Red brick and Weldon stone ashlar. Slate roof. Brick lateral stacks.
Rectangular on plan on corner site with main entrance at the corner. Wrennaissance
4 storeys, attic and basement. 6 1/2 bays to Fish Street and 3 1/2 bays to The Riding.
Rusticated ashlar ground floor with entablature with large cornice and round arch
doorway in bay 4 of west front end. Main entrance doorway on left hand (NW) corner
with semi-circular canopy on acanthus brackets with finely carved armorial bearings
on soffit and draped female figures above carved by A Broadbent of London
(sculptor). Curved corner panel above doorway inscribed 'Malcolm Inglis and
Company, Glasgow' with flanking pilasters having bulls' heads over arms of various
cities, and round third floor window with carved festoons around and inscription
'est 1796' below. The first, second and third floor bays are divided by giant
rusticated pilasters (brick on first floor) supporting a heavy moulded entablature
with modillions, and have segmental headed windows with 2-light sashes. Attic storey
has rusticated stone window architraves and brick pilasters over which the cornice
above breaks forward. Plain rear (east) elevation. Interior: Floors supported on
cast-iron columns. Wide mahogany and oak open-well staircase at rear centre. Attic
storey open to roof with queen-post trusses. Source: A E Anderson, Malcolm Inglis
and Company, Souvenir, May 25 1901.
Listing NGR: SP7568660531
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings