This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1179 / 52°7'4"N
Longitude: -1.1228 / 1°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 460160
OS Northings: 246979
OS Grid: SP601469
Mapcode National: GBR 8TV.4YL
Mapcode Global: VHCW5.H198
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 May 1960
Last Amended: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371888
English Heritage Legacy ID: 234226
Location: Weston and Weedon, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Weston and Weedon
Built-Up Area: Weedon Lois
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Lois Weedon St Mary and St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
WESTON AND WEEDON HIGH STREET
SP64NW (North side)
Church of St. Mary
(Formerly listed as Church of
St. Peter and St. Mary)
Church. c.1100 herringbone masonry in west wall of nave and lower part of the
tower; early C13 remains in the chancel; the rest is C14 with a north aisle and
vestry of 1849. Limestone ashlar, coursed squared limestone and irionstone, lead
roof and C20 old tile roof to porch with south aisle extended beside chancel to
form a chapel. East and south windows of chancel are Victorian. Blocked early
C13 lancet in north wall, similar window in south wall, now forming inner wall
of south-east chapel. East window of south-east chapel, Decorated, 3-lights with
Reticulated tracery. All windows in south aisle Decorated. 2-lights with flowing
tracery and ogee hoods with carved finials. Priest's doorway with ogee-headed
arch in second bay from right. South porch also Decorated, has entrance arch
with continous mouldings. Inner doorway similar with C19 double plank doors.
Decorated west window to nave with Victorian tracery. Lower stage of tower
Norman. Upper stage Perpendicular with castellated parapet and bell openings of
2-cusped lights. Interior: Decorated recess below east window of chancel,
restored and some carving reset in C19. Has ogee hood with crockets and finial,
flanked by crocketed pinnacles. K.Lewis suggests that this was the shrine of St.
Lucien. Tower arches, C14, except that to the north which is C19. All have half
octagonal responds and double chamfered arches, and hood with head stops.
South-east chapel has C14 double-chamfered arch opening to the chancel and
similar arch with large head stops to the south aisle. Decorated piscina recess
with crocketed ogee hood in chapel. Piscina in south aisle also Decorated, has
recess with crocketed hood and large head stops. Two C14 tomb recesses with
continous mouldings in south aisle. Roofs C19. Font, Romanesque, circular with
leaf carving and beaded lunettes. Stone pulpit, 1849, copied from the octaganal
Perpendicular pulpit at Bloxham church. Wall paintings in south aisle, medieval,
fragmentory, said to represent two seated figures. There was a priory at Weedon
linked with the abbey at St. Lucien in Normandy. The present parish church was
the priory church. The monks are said to have brought with them relics of their
patron saint and there was a well dedicated to St. Lucien (also known as St.
Loys) south of the church. The priory was closed down in 1414.
Buildings of England: Northamptonshire; K. Lewis, Weedon St Lois, Priory and
Parish, Reprint 1978, Brackley.).
Listing NGR: SP6016046979
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings