History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Glapthorn, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5031 / 52°30'11"N

Longitude: -0.4964 / 0°29'47"W

OS Eastings: 502155

OS Northings: 290529

OS Grid: TL021905

Mapcode National: GBR FXP.1B5

Mapcode Global: VHFNH.BBXZ

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 232637

Location: Glapthorn, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Glapthorn

Built-Up Area: Glapthorn

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Glapthorn St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Listing Text

GLAPTHORN BENEFIELD ROAD
TL0290 (South side)
16/82 Manor Farmhouse
23/05/67
- II

Manor house now farmhouse. Early and late C16, C18 and C19. Squared coursed
limestone with stone slate roof. Originally hall plan now double depth. 2
storeys with attic. Main front is a 3-window range of C19 sash windows, at first
floor, under wood lintels. Flanking canted wooden bay windows, at ground floor,
have French windows. Central 6-panel part-glazed door, has C19, flat-roofed,
ashlar parch, 3 hipped roof dormers with casement windows. Ashlar gable parapets
and ashlar end stack. Elevation to right is a 2-window range, with a 2-light
stone mullion window to right and casements with glazing bars to left. Large
lateral ashlar stack, to rear of front range, is to left of this elevation. This
range probably incorporates C16 work. Elevation to left of main front is a C19
two-window range of casement windows. Interior not inspected but central passage
noted as having C16 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2 C16 doorways with
triangular heads. The manor was acquired by Thomas Lord Cromwell in 1538. It
then passed to the Brudenells of Deene who almost entirely rebuilt the house in
1599. The main front was added in C18 and the rear range altered C19.
(RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p78)


Listing NGR: TL0215590529

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.