History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cheesemans Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Apethorpe, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5389 / 52°32'19"N

Longitude: -0.4981 / 0°29'53"W

OS Eastings: 501962

OS Northings: 294506

OS Grid: TL019945

Mapcode National: GBR FX3.T1H

Mapcode Global: VHFN9.BG11

Entry Name: Cheesemans Lodge

Listing Date: 12 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371989

English Heritage Legacy ID: 233007

Location: Apethorpe, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Apethorpe

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Apethorpe St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Nassington

Listing Text

APETHORPE
TL09SW
8/1 Cheesemans Lodge
- II
Park Keepers Lodge. Mid C17, enlarged as datestone 1864. Squared coursed
limestone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roof. Originally 2- or 3-unit
plan. 2 storeys. Main front is a 3-window range. C17 two-storey, 5-light, ovolo
moulded stone mullion windows, to centre and right. Each has gablets over with
ashlar parapets and kneelers. Plank door, between windows, has C17 moulded stone
surround with 4-centred arch-head. Bay to left is c.1864 and has 4-light stone
mullion windows, with gablet over, similar to C17 range. Ashlar gable parapets
and ashlar ridge and end stacks. Right gable has a C17 four-light stone mullion
window, probably reset in place of a bay window. Extension to rear is c.1864.
Interior: C19 staircase has reset C17 turned balusters and square newels. Room
to right of entrance has a C17 fireplace with 4-centred arch-head and moulded
spire beams with urn stops. Room to left of entrance has early C19 fireplace,
fitted into original open fireplace, and chamfered spine beam. Apethorpe Park
was created in 1543 and enlarged in 1620; it was used by James I. By CIB it had
become grazing and arable land.
(RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p16)


Listing NGR: TL0196294506

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.