History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Building of Glapthorn Road Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Oundle, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4854 / 52°29'7"N

Longitude: -0.4736 / 0°28'24"W

OS Eastings: 503748

OS Northings: 288587

OS Grid: TL037885

Mapcode National: GBR FXX.133

Mapcode Global: VHFNH.QSZL

Entry Name: Main Building of Glapthorn Road Hospital

Listing Date: 28 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372118

English Heritage Legacy ID: 231703

Location: Oundle, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Oundle

Built-Up Area: Oundle

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Oundlew Ashton

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Oundle

Listing Text

GLAPTHORN ROAD
1. (West Side)
1483 --------------
Main Building of
Glapthorn Road Hospital
TL 0388 2/121 28.6.73.

II GV


2.
Built as the workhouse. 1836. Perhaps by G G Scott (Pevsner). Late classical,
with red brick additions of 1902. 2 long parallel ranges joined by a central passage.
Lower front range consists of end pavilions and centre of 2 storeys linked by sections
of 1 storey. Centre hipped forward has 2 windows on ground floor with rusticated
heads joine by band, hung sashes with glazing bars, and door. 3 windows on 1st
floor. Side ranges of 1 storey and 6 windows, bays divided by plain pilasters.
End pavilions are houses with 1 window to each storey, end pilasters, band between
storeys. Plinth. Rear range of 3 storeys with central octagonal tower of 4 storeys.
Ends of range and extension to rear and alterations are in red brick, 1902. Tower
has 1 window to each face except for centre which has clock in roundel flanked
by 2 windows. Wood louvred bell turret. Both wings have 2 windows in ends, which
project slightly, then 5 windows. The ranges are joined by a 2 storey linking section,
which has been somewhat altered.

The Main Building and Hospital Chapel form a group.


Listing NGR: TL0374888587

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.