History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Bakery

A Grade II Listed Building in Geddington, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4382 / 52°26'17"N

Longitude: -0.6852 / 0°41'6"W

OS Eastings: 489474

OS Northings: 283060

OS Grid: SP894830

Mapcode National: GBR DWW.1L6

Mapcode Global: VHFNL.2ZM8

Entry Name: The Old Bakery

Listing Date: 3 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372395

English Heritage Legacy ID: 231031

Location: Geddington, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Geddington

Built-Up Area: Geddington

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Geddington St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Kettering

Listing Text

GEDDINGTON
SP8883 BAKEHOUSE HILL
1337-0/12/290 No.6
03/12/86 The Old Bakery
GV II
House, incorporating bakery. C17, with later alterations.
Coursed limestone rubble with ironstone bands, and plain
limestone rubble addition. Slate and Collyweston stone slate
roofs. Brick ridge and end stacks. 2 storeys. Original house,
2-window wide, with one bay addition to right. Original house
has central C20 door with wooden lintel. 3-light gudgeon-hung
casement windows, those to ground floor with cyma-moulded
cornices, those to first floor with wooden lintels. Similar
3-light windows to addition. Large gabled oven added to left,
the structure strengthened with stout restical timbers and
iron ties. Taking-in door above, in gable end of house.
2-storey wing to rear. Left-hand ground floor room, with 2
chamfered and stopped cross beams and chamfered joists,
converted to bakehouse. Mouth of oven now blocked, but some
bakehouse fittings remain - benches, flour chute and plain
enclosed wooden stair to floor store above - functioned as a
bakery until 1956.


Listing NGR: SP8947483060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.