History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grooms House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushton, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4367 / 52°26'12"N

Longitude: -0.7679 / 0°46'4"W

OS Eastings: 483853

OS Northings: 282795

OS Grid: SP838827

Mapcode National: GBR CVF.BMV

Mapcode Global: VHDR8.M0WV

Entry Name: The Grooms House

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 19 June 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372412

English Heritage Legacy ID: 231133

Location: Rushton, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Rushton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Rushton with Glendon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Rothwell

Listing Text

RUSHTON
SP88SW The Grooms House
1337-0/4/222
25/10/51
Formerly Listed as:
Grooms House, to E of Hall)
II*
House, now part of school. Early C18, perhaps earlier origin.
Coursed squared ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings,
brick east front, Collyweston stone slate roof, coped gables
and moulded stone ridge stacks. 2 storeys and attic. H plan.
West front, 5-window wide, has central 6-panelled door with
traceried overlight in roll moulded surround. Wooden
cross-framed windows with gudgeon-hung, iron-framed leaded
casements in roll-moulded surrounds. Plinth, and band between
storeys. East front of red brick with burnt headers and 8/8
sashes, otherwise detial as west front. South front has
projecting gables to left and right. Gable to left has sash
windows (in cross form) to ground and first floors, gable to
right has blind cross-framed windows, and both have 2-light
segment-headed casement windows to attic. Ionic corner
pilasters and moulded eaves. Central linking block has door
with overlight in roll-moulded surround and sash windows (in
cross form) to left and right at ground and first floor level.
Interior: 2 staircases, one dog-leg and one with slender
turned balusters and square newels (probably C19), some
2-panel and square-panel doors. Original hall in centre block
lined with re-used C17 rectangular panelling. East wing ground
floor room lined with bolection-moulded panelling.


Listing NGR: SP8385382795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.