History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rosary Cemetery Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Norwich, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6269 / 52°37'36"N

Longitude: 1.3117 / 1°18'42"E

OS Eastings: 624233

OS Northings: 308389

OS Grid: TG242083

Mapcode National: GBR WCW.3N

Mapcode Global: WHMTN.37XG

Entry Name: Rosary Cemetery Lodge

Listing Date: 7 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372543

English Heritage Legacy ID: 229779

Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR1

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich

Town: Norwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet

Built-Up Area: Norwich

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Thorpe Hamlet St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Norwich

Listing Text

TG 2408 SW ROSARY ROAD
25/920 No 143
Rosary Cemetery Lodge
II
Cemetery Lodge and office. 1860 by J S Benest of Norwich. Gault brick in Flemish
bond. State roof with tiled coping to gable ends with corbelled kneelers and
moulded brick modillion cornice.
Rectangular on plan, at right angles to road and facing drive entrance to cemetery.
Tudor gothic style.
One storey and attic. Asymmetrical 3-window south-east front. 2-light cavetto
moulded brick mullion-transom windows. 4-centred arch lights and hoodmoulds, those
on first floor in 2 dormers on left with moulded brick gables. Canted bay on left
of ground floor with moulded mullion-transom windows. Panelled door to left of
centre in moulded frame and with headmould. Similar mullion-transom windows in
SW gable end facing road and stone inscription at first floor level in upper case
sanserif 'ROSARY CEMETERY OFFICE'.
Interior not inspected but said to be unaltered except for one blocked doorway.
Note: Rosary Cemetery is reputedly the first private non-denominational cemetery in
England. The chapel (qv) was built in 1897.
Source: Norfolk County Record Office, ref BR 35.


Listing NGR: TG2423308389

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.