This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6789 / 52°40'44"N
Longitude: 1.1951 / 1°11'42"E
OS Eastings: 616084
OS Northings: 313816
OS Grid: TG160138
Mapcode National: GBR VFQ.2YT
Mapcode Global: WHLS2.BXBN
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228433
Location: Taverham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR8
Civil Parish: Taverham
Built-Up Area: Taverham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Taverham St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 11 SE TAVERHAM COSTESSEY ROAD
7/42 Parish Church of St.
Parish Church, medieval and later. Flint with stone dressings and roofs
of pantile, slate and thatch. West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch
and chancel. 2 stage Cll round tower. Semi-circular headed lancet window
to west and single light opening to south. C15 octagonal second stage,
with 2-light Perpendicular bell openings. Gargoyles and grotesques at
angles level with string course. Battlemented flushwork parapet with
cross finials. North nave wall has western doorway possibly Cll, with
semi-circular head and impost blocks. To its east a 3 light Perpendicular
window and a C14 2-light window with 'Y' tracery. South aisle c.1863,
of 4 bays with south door and 2-light Geometric style windows, stepped
buttresses and Ballflower and Dogtooth ornament on eaves cornice. C19
south porch with diagonal buttresses, stone kneelers and parapet gable.
2 bay chancel with restored 2 light Decorated windows to south with C14
priest's door with ovolo and hollow chamfered reveals. Two 2-light Decorated
windows to north. Decorated 3 light east window with petal tracery.
Parapet gables with cross finials. Interior contains much of the C19.
Possible Cll opening in east tower wall to west gallery. Medieval single
framed scissor truss roof, probably C14. C19, 3 bay south arcade. Decorated
chancel arch. Fragment of dropped-sill sedilia with cusped ogees in spandrels
and Piscina and Aumbry with cusped head in south chancel wall. Blocked
door opening in north chancel wall. Stained glass, c.1450 of Crucifixion
and attendant effigies in north west nave window. 6 bay medieval timber
screen with ogee Perpendicular tracery. Altar rails constructed with
C14 Reticulated tracery, probably salvaged from upper part of a Rood
Screen. Medieval choir stalls with traceried frontals. Poppyheads and
animals on the arms. Bench with poppyheads in choir loft. Chalice brass
to John Thorp, rector, died 1515, in chancel floor.
Listing NGR: TG1608413816
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings