This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6653 / 52°39'55"N
Longitude: 1.4966 / 1°29'47"E
OS Eastings: 636534
OS Northings: 313253
OS Grid: TG365132
Mapcode National: GBR XJS.TFJ
Mapcode Global: WHMTJ.Y8VJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228506
Location: South Walsham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: South Walsham
Built-Up Area: South Walsham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: South Walsham, Upton and Fishley
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 31 SE SOUTH WALSHAM THE STREET
5/58 Church of St. Mary.
Parish church. C14 and C15 with some C19 restoration. Flint with limestone
dressings. Slate roofs over nave and chancel, lead roofs over aisles and
porch. Crested ridge tiles over nave. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle,
south aisle, south porch.C15 knapped flint west tower with diagonal buttresses
to west. Stone-faced plinth. Square traceried sound holes with label moulds.
2-light Decorated bell openings - tracery missing on west and south sides.
Three-light Perpendicular west window, much renewed, above west doorway.
Polygonal stair turret at north-east corner, with pierced stone vents. Good
C15 south porch with parvis over : flushwork panels and diagonal buttresses
to south gable. Entrance arch has finely carved spandrels depicting the
Annunciation. Small niche above with figure group, flanked by two windows,
all under square label moulds. South aisle has two 2-light Decorated and
two 3-light Perpendicular windows; central staged buttress of brick and stone.
Five widely-spaced 2-light clerestorey windows. South side of chancel has
low side window with cusped arch under a square label; two 2-light Decorated
windows with staged buttress between. Priest's door to east side of buttress.
3-light reticulated east window, much restored. Slate memorial tablet to
John Mitchells (+1776) and wife (+1778). 2-light 'Y'-traceried windows in
North wall of chancel. North clerestorey to nave with details as south side.
North doorway with continuous double chamfered arch. Two early stone coffin
lids form steps down into nave from south porch. Roofs all renewed in C19.
5 bay north and south arcades : double chamfered arches on octagonal piers.
Chancel arch of similar date. Rood stair on north side of chancel arch.
Double aumbry at north-east corner of north aisle, C15. Square headed screen,
with painted panels and inscription commemorating manumission of donor,
John Galt, in 1437. Screen retains its original doors, to sanctuary. Traces
of wall painting continuing screen design to south. Stone coffin lid with
cross set in floor to west of screen. Stone slab set in south east corner
of chancel said to originate from the altar tomb of Richard de S. Walsham,
Abbott of St. Benets (+1439). Dropped-cill sedilia on south side of chancel.
Tall niche in north east corner of chancel, probably a banner staff locker.
Monument to Rev. William Beevor (+1718) removed from church of St. Lawrence
1960. Font late C14 octagonal with traceried bowl and massive stem with four
shafts. Podium contains medieval tiles. Good set of nave benches with
poppyheads and carved borders.
Listing NGR: TG3653413253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings