This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8053 / 52°48'18"N
Longitude: 1.1386 / 1°8'18"E
OS Eastings: 611650
OS Northings: 327695
OS Grid: TG116276
Mapcode National: GBR TBS.0PJ
Mapcode Global: WHLRG.GRD9
Entry Name: Heydon Hall
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228688
Location: Heydon, Broadland, Norfolk, NR11
Civil Parish: Heydon
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Heydon St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 12 NW HEYDON -
3/29 Heydon Hall
Country house. Built 1581-4 for Henry Dynne, an Auditor of the Exchequer.
Much C19 repair and detailing; interior partly re-worked. Red brick, with
stuccoed dressings. Steeply-pitched plaintiled roofs. 2½ and 3 storeys,
double pile, 'E' plan to south. Principal facade to the south of five bays,
E-plan with three 3-storey gabled projections. Central porch with polygonal
angle-shafts and octagonal finials. Outer projections have finials set on
panelled corbels; the windows in the outer bays set in recesses with moulded
brick architraves. Windows of 4 and 5-lights with stuccoed brick hollow-
chamfer mullions and transoms; pediments over ground floor and first floor
windows. Bays 2 and 4 have pierced eaves parapets, the openings glazed to
form attic lights. Porch entrance has restored 4-centred arch with decorated
spandrels, frieze with three panels of arms above. 2-leaf panelled door with
eight panels in each leaf, blind panelled fanlight above. Octagonal chimney
shafts on east and west sides of porch. Two large chimney stacks behind ridge
line, each with five octagonal shafts, moulded and linked tops. Polygonal
angle shafts with tall finials. Roll-moulded copings to gable parapets.
To the west, 2-storey square bays with brick and pierced stone parapet with
seated lions; between the bays a taller 3-storey parapeted projection with,
at ground level, a stuccoed door surround with decorated spandrels and keyed
semicircular arch; decorated framed panel of arms above. North front
symmetrical of three storeys with blind attic storey in bays. Centre bay
slightly advanced under a strapwork cresting with obelisk-finials; panel
of arms below. Central semicircular-headed 2-leaf doors with four panels
of leaded glazing, stone door surround with blocked pilasters on plinths,
strapwork in spandrels and elaborate keystone to arch and entablature. Tall
stair window of five lights with two transoms and leaded glazing with some
stained glass. 5-light second-floor window. Outer bays occupied by full-
height canted bows with blind attic windows in parapets. Mullion and transom
windows much restored; pediments over ground floor and second floor windows.
String courses at first floor windows. Double-step castelled parapets with
tall polygonal finials; arcaded balustrade between bays. Central cupola
with ogee lead-covered dome behind centre bay, flanked by two chimney stacks
each with four octagonal linked shafts. Interior: good staircase with
rectangular-section carved balusters. Large C17 fireplace in hall with 4-
centred arch and decorated spandrels. Drawing Room interior of c.1740.
Interior not fully inspected.
Listing NGR: TG1165027695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings