History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oulton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8113 / 52°48'40"N

Longitude: 1.1687 / 1°10'7"E

OS Eastings: 613654

OS Northings: 328460

OS Grid: TG136284

Mapcode National: GBR VCY.N9N

Mapcode Global: WHLRG.XLQM

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 10 May 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372723

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228719

Location: Oulton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Oulton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Oulton with Irmingland

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Oulton

Listing Text

TG 12 NW OULTON CHURCH LANE

3/60 Church of St Peter
10-5-61 and St Paul

- II*

Parish church. Fabric mostly C15. Flint with limestone dressings. Main
roofs lead-covered, porch plaintiled. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel.
Square west tower set slightly south of main church axis; diagonal staged
buttresses up to bell stage. C15 2-light west window. 2-light traceried
bell-openings. Small window with cusped head below south bell opening. South
porch with hollow-chamfered arch on polygonal corbels, defaced headstops.
Continuous quadrant mould to outer arch and jambs. Large arched openings
in north and south nave walls, marking position of former chapels; openings
now infilled with Y-tracery. 2-light square-headed window at south-east
corner of nave, tracery infilled with rendered brick. Chancel has north and
south 2-light square headed cross-windows with cusped heads to lights, hollow-
chamfered mullions and transoms. North-east window blocked with rendered
brickwork. Priest's door on south side with cusped and sub-cusped arch,
square dripmould, flowers and foliage decoration in spandrels. Diagonal
buttresses to east gable with flushwork panels with cusped and crocketted
heads. C15 3-light east window. Crudely-built projection at north-east
corner of nave, probably to accommodate rood stair. North-east nave window
blocked in brick, partly rendered. Staged buttresses with flushwork panels
flanking north chapel opening. North doorway blocked in flint. Square-headed
2-light west window to nave with four quatrefoils above ogee-headed lights.
Interior: nave roof has arch-braced principals with wallposts to alternative
trusses. Roll-moulded purlins and ridge; ridge-pendants with carved bosses.
Moulded cornice. Waggon-boarded ceiling to chancel. Piscina in south wall
of chancel with cinquefoil head and carved spandrels, petalled bowl. C18
memorial slabs in nave and chancel floor; two memorial brasses, one to Edmund
and Katherine Bell (d.1636). Wall monuments in north-east corner of nave
to Thomas Bell (d.1755), Coulson Bell (d,1800), Oval tablet to Richard Ladell
(d.1802) and others, above north doorway. Wall painting - a fragment
depicting a fish, adjoining jamb of north doorway. Hexagonal panelled pulpit
on stem, C17. Plain octagonal font bowl on later base.


Listing NGR: TG1365428460

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.