This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6161 / 52°36'58"N
Longitude: 1.5691 / 1°34'8"E
OS Eastings: 641705
OS Northings: 308021
OS Grid: TG417080
Mapcode National: GBR XKG.TTM
Mapcode Global: WHMTS.2HGR
Entry Name: Remains of Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228646
Location: Halvergate, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Halvergate
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Halvergate St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
HALVERGATE TUNSTALL STREET
TG 40 NW
4/69 Remains of Church
of St. Peter and
25-9-62 St. Paul.
Parish church of Tunstall. Medieval and later. Repaired 1705, and extended
1853. Flint with brick and stone dressings. Chancel roofed with slate. Ruined
west tower and nave. Chancel. West tower partially obscured by Ivy. 2 stages,
diagonal buttresses and putlog holes lined with brick. West window with stone
jambs, brick arch and hood moulds. Single light window above. Single light
sound hole. Top stage ruined, though belfry opening arch to west still intact.
4 bay nave. 2 single light west windows either side of tower. 3 windows to
north and south with remains of Decorated tracery of 2 light windows.
Perpendicular south door with wave mouldings and attached shafts. Similar
doorway, blocked, to north. Offset buttresses, stone kneelers and brick
parapet gable with semi-circular arch in peak containing bell. 2 by chancel
extended to east in C19 in brick. Stone voussoirs of former C13 arcade visible
in south wall. Inserted C19 single light windows, 3 to south one to north.
C19 north priest's door and 2 light east window. Tower and nave roofless.
Perpendicular brick tower arch with single light opening above with semi-
circular arch. Recess for stoup adjacent to south door. Perpendicular chancel
arch blocked with brick with inscribed tablet in spandrel. Chancel interior
C19. C13 double piscina in south wall with central colonnette with base and
capital and cusped arches above with corbelled responds. Fallen masonry inside
nave contains window tracery. Extensive use of brick and the layout of the
putlog holes of archaeological interest. Plaque in chancel arch reads 'This
rebuilt by Mrs Elizabeth Jenkenson, the relict of Miles Jenkenson, Tunstal
Esq. and Ms Anne Kelkall, daughter of Miles and Elizabeth. 1705.'
Listing NGR: TG4170508021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings