This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6544 / 52°39'15"N
Longitude: 1.5368 / 1°32'12"E
OS Eastings: 639310
OS Northings: 312168
OS Grid: TG393121
Mapcode National: GBR XK0.KBX
Mapcode Global: WHMTK.LJ0X
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228659
Location: Upton with Fishley, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Upton with Fishley
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: South Walsham, Upton and Fishley
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
UPTON WITH FISHLEY CHURCH ROAD
TG 31 SE
1/82 Church of St.
Parish church. C14 and C15 restored 1885 by A.S.Hewitt; tower restored 1928-
9. Flint and brick with limestone dressings. Nave and south porch roofs slated,
chancel and aisles lead. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles
south porch. Plain square west tower, rebuilt 1928, with short pilaster
buttresses to first stage only. Louvred two-light bell openings with arched
transom and'Y' tracery Honeycomb brick sound openings on north and south.
West window in brick surround with brick-headed lancet above. South porch
with gable cross. Stooled niche with restored head above doorway. 2-light
east and west windows. North and south windows 3-light Perpendicular with
staged buttresses dividing bays. Arches with brick and flint voussoirs. Four-
bay clerestorey to nave with 2-light windows with square heads and labels.
East window of south aisle flanked by wall monument to John Cater +1781.
Priest's door in south wall of chancel. Five light Perpendicular east window.
Walling of north aisle contains brick and limestone blocks, some worked and
re-used. Nave roof has castellated tie beams with arch-braces onto wall posts.
Arch-braced principal rafters. Alternate wall posts cut to accommodate
clerestorey. Four-bay arcades : piers with four shafts with fillet between;
arches with filleted hollow camfer. Painted consecration cross on north side
of chancel arch. C15 screen base with eight painted figure panels and remains
of inscription on middle rail. Piscina with traceried heads in north and
south aisles. Painted consecration cross in south aisle. A re-used Romanesque
capital in stoup by south door. Fine C14 octagonal font set on a stepped
podium, the upper level having a quatrefoil frieze with lions carved at the
corners. The stem carved with eight figures, the bowl with angels and the
signs of the Evangelists.
Listing NGR: TG3931012168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings