This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6324 / 52°37'56"N
Longitude: 1.3007 / 1°18'2"E
OS Eastings: 623458
OS Northings: 308967
OS Grid: TG234089
Mapcode National: GBR WB4.6B
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.Y3K7
Entry Name: Bishop's Palace
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Last Amended: 8 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228914
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TG 2308 NW THE CLOSE
16/167 Bishop's Palace (formerly listed
26.2.54 under St.Martin-at-Palace Plain)
Former Bishop's Palace, now school. C11 onwards. 1858-9 restorations by
Ewan Christian. Flint with brick and stone dressings. Horizontal brick
bands. Plain and plain tile roofs. Large L-plan north of the Cathedral
and originally connected to it. 3 and 4 storeys above C11 barrel vaulting.
West facade:- Completely refaced in 1858-9 central projecting bay with
2 stone mullion and transom windows at ground floor and sash windows above.
5 bays to right with mullion and transom windows throughout with brick
relieving arches above. 4 bays to left with stone mullion and transom windows.
One 3-light and one large 2-light window at first floor. C19 perpendicular
window top right-hand. Gables centre with stack and extreme right.
Square clustered stacks. Remains of connecting bay to cathedral on south
elevation. The east wall has remains of blocked Romanesque windows.
6 bays of barrel-vaulting with flat transverse arches. Beneath this in the
north-east corner is a brick-built undercroft. To the north is a 4-bay
brick-built undercroft with a central pier. Fine Queen post roof to former
' High presence ' Chamber. This above C19 plaster vaulted hall.
East Wing:- Flint. C19 flintwork at first floor with horizontal brick courses.
Pantile roof. 2 storeys. 2 central first-floor traceried windows. Romansque
arch at right-hand relating to lower ground level. 4-bay twin-aisled brick-built
Listing NGR: TG2345808967
Other nearby listed buildings