This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6313 / 52°37'52"N
Longitude: 1.2967 / 1°17'48"E
OS Eastings: 623193
OS Northings: 308828
OS Grid: TG231088
Mapcode National: GBR W9H.TS
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.W4N4
Entry Name: The Briton's Arms
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229069
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Tombland
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2308 NW ELM HILL
26.2.54 No.9. (The Briton's Arms)
Former beguinage, now restaurant. Early C15 and later. Timber frame.
Rendered. Thatched roof. Brick ridge-chimney. 3 storeys and cellar,
one bay to gable front with bracketed first and second floor jetties.
Only a second-floor jetty on right side elevation. High rendered plinth.
One step up to C19 half-glazed door to left. One C19 ground-floor
window with large panes. One mullioned first-floor casement of 6-lights.
Scattered fenestration on side elevation includes 3 mullioned casements,
one with leaded lights. Plain barge-boards. Current repairs revealed second
floor to be arcaded, which is to be left exposed on West and South elevations.
Interior has door with 2-Centred head and fireplaces on all floors. Reputed
to be the only house in Elm Hill to escape destruction by fire in 1507 and one
of the few remaining thatched roofs in Norwich.
Listing NGR: TG2319308827
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings