This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6318 / 52°37'54"N
Longitude: 1.2973 / 1°17'50"E
OS Eastings: 623229
OS Northings: 308891
OS Grid: TG232088
Mapcode National: GBR W9K.ZB
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.W3XP
Entry Name: 41 and 43, Elm Hill
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229075
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Tombland
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2308 NW ELM HILL
26.2.54 Nos. 41 and 43.
Former use unknown, now shop. C17 and later. Mostly rendered; timber
framing with plaster infill to upper floor of No. 41; pantile roof; 2 brick
chimneys; 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Facade is in 2 parts:
No.41 has early C19 shop-front of 3 bays defined by fluted elongated Tuscan
Columns. Central half-glazed door with small panes flanked by shop windows,
also with glazing bars. Jettied first floor has close studding with middle
rail supporting former full-width window, now blocked but originally
comprising 5 pairs of ogee-leaded lights with rosettes in spandrels, 2 pairs
have been replaced with iron casements and leaded lights. Box cornice.
Gabled dormer has mullioned and transomed window with iron casement and
leaded lights. Barge- boards have turned pendants.
No.43 has half-glazed door to left with panelled reveals and a doorcase
with plain pilasters. 2 ground-floor sash windows with glazing bars. First-
floor has one sash window with glazing bars and another mullioned window
with leaded lights and an iron casement. Large gabled dormer to right has
iron casement with leaded lights. Smaller gable with glazing bar sashes
to left. Both gables have plain bargeboards. These properties originally
formed part of a large courtyard house on the site of Wright's Court (q.v.)
No.41 has a cast iron plaque: I/SS/1842.
Listing NGR: TG2322908891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings