History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Topcroft, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4869 / 52°29'12"N

Longitude: 1.3359 / 1°20'9"E

OS Eastings: 626585

OS Northings: 292893

OS Grid: TM265928

Mapcode National: GBR WKK.2JV

Mapcode Global: VHL8S.3RKF

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 5 September 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372884

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227414

Location: Topcroft, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Topcroft

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Topcroft St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hempnall

Listing Text



TM 29 SE TOPCROFT CHURCH ROAD
(west side)

4/67 Church of St.Margaret
5.9.60

- II*

Parish church. Medieval; chancel of 1712. Flint with brick and stone
dressings, brick. Slate roof. West tower, nave, C18 chancel, south
aisle, south porch. Embattled tower of 4 stages, the lower stage round,
the upper stages octagonal. West window, heavily restored, of 2 lights
with panel tracery; post-medieval brick repair above and below window.
Medieval brick quoins to second and third stages. Stone dressings to
slit light to west of second stage; brick voussoirs. Single light opening
to each face of third stage with brick reveals. Stone dresings to fourth
stage; large louvred openings to north, south, east and west; flushwork
to intermediate faces. Diagonal buttresses to south aisle; post-medieval
brick buttress on medieval base. 2 restored 2-light windows with panel
tracery. East window of aisle of 3 lights with panel tracery; similar
to west, heavily restored. North nave doorway with continuous chamfer.
One restored 3-light window with panel tracery; hood mould. One similar
window of C19. Off-set in wall of second bay. Light for rood stair.
Brick chancel having pilasters with moulded capitals. C19 stone-dressed
windows. Buttressed porch to first aisle bay. Single cusped light under
square hood mould to east and west. Archway with polygonal shafts; hollow
chamfer to arch, continuous outer order with hollow chamfer; hood mould
with restored figure stops. Rere-arch of 2 orders; hollow chamfered.
Niche to right of archway. Nave doorway of 2 continuous orders, hollow
chamfer to arch; hood mould with figure stops. Stoup to right. Interior.
Stoup beside south door. 4-bay nave arcade with polygonal shafts on large
bases; 2 orders to arch. Piscina in aisle. Rood stair. Probably C19
tower arch and chancel arch. C19 roofs and fittings. Royal arms dated
1789 G.R. Many hatchments. Octagonal font with 4 lions to base;
alternate lions and angels with shields to bowl.


Listing NGR: TM2658592893

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.