This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.338 / 51°20'16"N
Longitude: 1.4004 / 1°24'1"E
OS Eastings: 636939
OS Northings: 165364
OS Grid: TR369653
Mapcode National: GBR X0L.0VM
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.7M6P
Entry Name: Mausoleum to Earl of Dunmow with 2 Tomb Chests and Headstone About 100 Metres West of Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171841
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Civil Parish: Ramsgate
Built-Up Area: Ramsgate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
RAMSGATE HIGH STREET
TR 3665 SE
to Earl of
2 tomb chests
of Church of
Mausoleum of 10th Earl of Dunmow d.1809. Ashlar with stone slate roof.
Greek cross-plan Gothic mausoleum on paved platform (railings now
missing). Each arm of the plan in the form of a buttressed gable,
3 sides with inscription plaques with moulded and stopped hoods, the
eastern side with hollow chamfered doorway with hood mould and 2 steps
to blocked-up doorway, all gables with quatrefoil ventilation holes.
Tomb chest to Mary Peake, d.1744, about 10 metres south west, with
double stepped base (railings missing) and moulded plinth with baluster
corner piers raised and fielded panels, the cut away corner with rose
and scallop motifs, and with inscribed moulded top slab. Headstone to
William Smith about 20 metres south west, mid C18 sandstone. About 2
feet high, with moulded panel with good quality but badly spalled
inscription, with segmental head with symbols of Freemasonry (Eye in
sunburst, compasses, set square, open book). Tomb chest to Susann
Crofton, d.1863 about 5 metres north. High quality Gothic tomb chest
with railings. Chamfered base and frame to chest in stone (artificial
stone?) with nook shafts with voluted capitals, with cuspings holding
white marble side panels in place, with inscription in uncial lettering.
Marble top slab inlaid with fleurette octofoil calvary cross in
coloured marble. Unusual iron rail, with square ball-finialed principals
and uprights with triple spiked heads, and tendril-like scrolls finished
with hearts, with dog rail, the rivets throughout made a feature.
Listing NGR: TR3693965364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings