This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2946 / 51°17'40"N
Longitude: 0.8917 / 0°53'30"E
OS Eastings: 601706
OS Northings: 159022
OS Grid: TR017590
Mapcode National: GBR SW9.Q8R
Mapcode Global: VHKJW.DQSF
Entry Name: Copton Manor
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176864
Location: Sheldwich, Swale, Kent, ME13
Civil Parish: Sheldwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 05 NW SHELDWICH ASHFORD ROAD
1/66 Copton Manor
Manor house. Circa 1300, remodelled and extended C18 and mid C19.
Flint and rubble stone, rendered, with plain tiled roofs. Hall house
with 2 storey chamber block and offset wing (bailiffs quarters). C19
ballroom added to chamber block. Entrance front: 2 storeys and attic
with tall hipped roof. Three gabled dormers and stacks to rear left,
centre and right. Three glazing bar sashes on first floor, 2 tripartite
glazing bar sashes on ground floor. Offcentre door of panels, the top
2 glazed, with semi-circular fanlight and flat hood on pilasters. Two
storey half-octagonal bay windows to left, with glazing bar sashes, and
1 storey extension to right with 2 sashes. The whole front is slightly
asymmetrical. Left return: 2 storeys, the upper storey breaking eaves
line. Large hipped roof with gablet, stacks to left, centre anti right.
Two glazing bar sashes first floor, 2 tripartite glazing bar sashes on
ground floor. Blocked screens passage entry to centre left. Small C19
porch (blocked) in re-entrant with cross wing to right. Bailiffs quarters:
(now a potting shed) to left. Now detached, but originally built into
left end wall, the stone gable still stands, projecting from the main line
of the range. The rest of the range is of painted brick, 2 storeys, with
1 casement window and boarded door on ground floor. Rear:weatherboarded
external staircase with bell-pull, built for the use of farmhands to reach
attic accommodation in main range. Ogee-headed 2 light window on rear wall,
originally with some tracery. Interior: entirely preserved despite the
later alterations and additions are 3 scissor braced roofs over the 3
ranges (chamber block, hall, with smoke-blackening, and bailiffs quarters-
this with added tie-beams). Pointed chamfered doorways and blocked windows
in various positions. Few other interior features - the hall roof is of
very good quality work. Mason's marks associated with Canterbury Cathedral
1166-1220, although the ogee-headed windows suggest an early C14 date.
(See Traditional Kent Buildings, no.1, 1984, pp 16-21, plans and elevations).
Listing NGR: TR0170659022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings