This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6686 / 52°40'6"N
Longitude: 1.6146 / 1°36'52"E
OS Eastings: 644494
OS Northings: 314010
OS Grid: TG444140
Mapcode National: GBR YPN.M1N
Mapcode Global: WHMTL.S620
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227680
Location: Fleggburgh, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29
District: Great Yarmouth
Civil Parish: Fleggburgh
Built-Up Area: Fleggburgh (Burgh St Margaret)
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
FLEGGBURGH MAIN ROAD
TG 41 SW
Burgh St. Margaret
6/10 Church of St. Margaret
Parish church. C12 origins, remodelled. C14 and C15. Restored 1876, tower
restored 1900 by H. Green, Diocesan architect. Cut flint with ashlar
dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs. West tower, nave and chancel.
3 stage square unbuttressed tower. 2-light west window with 4-petal vesica.
Clock faces to west and south sides. String course below belfry stage. 2-
light louvred belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with
side buttresses. Arched moulded entrance. 2-light side windows. Evidence
of work earlier than 1876 elusive. C12 inner south doorway. 2 orders. of
shafts, the inner engaged, the outer with cushion capitals and bases. Arch
with inner roll, deep zig-zag rolls and double billet hood. Fenestration of
church entirely C19. 3 2-light Perpendicular south windows. 2 small lancets
over porch and, in roof, a 3-light dormer under thatch. 3 flint and brick
stepped buttresses. North nave also with 4 brick and flint stepped
buttresses. Wall of whole flints. Remains of billet hood of north doorway.
2 2-light Perpendicular windows as south and 2 trefoiled lancets. One stepped
buttress to chancel north and south. 2 2-light cusped Y tracery south
windows. Priests' door to north chancel wall. Diagonal stepped eastern
buttresses. 3-light east window. Interior. Doorway into tower. Western
gallery of timber 1876 lit through dormer window. C19 arched braced nave
roof. C19 chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. Boarded C19 scissor
braced chancel roof. C19 octagonal font with shields and emblems in bowl
panels. Rosettes and ornamental details abound. In south chancel wall a
brass to Joannes Burton, 1608. Kneeling figure dressed in ecclesiastical
costume prayes at stall. Behind him a perspective tiled floor recedes in the
manner of Flemish Renaissance painters. Below him is an inscription panel.
Wall monument to George Fisher who died of wounds received at Gaza 1917.
Listing NGR: TG4449414010
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings