History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Belton with Browston, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5675 / 52°34'3"N

Longitude: 1.6663 / 1°39'58"E

OS Eastings: 648555

OS Northings: 302949

OS Grid: TG485029

Mapcode National: GBR YRR.228

Mapcode Global: WHNW4.KQPJ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 27 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227740

Location: Belton with Browston, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Civil Parish: Belton with Browston

Built-Up Area: Belton (Great Yarmouth)

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Belton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Belton

Listing Text

BELTON CHURCH LANE
TG 40 SE (west side)
7/5 Church of All Saints
27.11.54
- II*

Parish church. Nave and chancel Decorated. West tower rebuilt 1849 when
general restoration carried out. Further restorations to chancel 1866 and
to nave 1881. Flint with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. Circular 3
stage tower. Cusped lancet to west. Slits to ringing chamber and louvred
cusped belfry lights. Plain parapet. Diagonal stepped east and west
buttresses to nave and 2 side buttresses to flanks. Gabled south porch of
C15 with some flushwork decoration and diagonal buttresses. 2-light side
windows. 3 2-light nave windows to north and south, the former with
reticulation units, the latter with subsidiary reticulation units within them.
Arched north doorway. Double wave moulded inner south doorway with ogee arch
and finial. 2 2-light Flowing south chancel windows and one to north, all
largely of C19 date. North and south priests' doorways. 3-light Flowing east
window of similar character. Interior. Hollow chamfered and arched tower
doorway. Scissor braced nave roof of 1881. Double chamfered chancel arch.
C13 Purbeck marble font : octagonal on plinth. Central drum with 8 orbiting
columns. Bowl has 2 incised pointed arches to each facet. Late C14 wall
paintings on north nave wall. St. James the Major to west. St. Christopher
to east of doorway. Above and east of this a very faint representation of
the 3 Quick and the 3 Dead. C14 chancel screen of 5 bays right and left of
double doors. Shafts rise to frieze of route tournants. C19 top rail. Plain
plank dado. Arch braced chancel roof of 1866. Stepped sedilia and angle
piscina in south chancel. In north chancel wall a cusped ogeed tomb recess,
with finial.


Listing NGR: TG4855502949

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.