History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brampton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7734 / 52°46'24"N

Longitude: 1.2893 / 1°17'21"E

OS Eastings: 621973

OS Northings: 324610

OS Grid: TG219246

Mapcode National: GBR VDP.2SS

Mapcode Global: WHMSV.SK55

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 10 May 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372950

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227963

Location: Brampton, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Brampton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Brampton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Brampton

Listing Text

TG 22 SW BRAMPTON BRAMPTON

6/2 Church of St. Peter
10/5/61
II*

Parish Church. Flint with limestone dressings, slate roofs. C12 round west
tower with C15 brick octagonal top, nave and former south aisle incorporated
under one roof, chancel and south porch. Octagonal tower stage has limestone
quoins and embattled parapet; two-light sound openings. Two-light west window
in tower base C16. Angle buttress to south-west corner. South porch with parapeted
gable and angle buttresses. Quatrefoiled opening over south doorway. C19 south
door into nave with good C15 tracery applied to its face. Late C14 south window
in former south aisle (now part of nave). Arched opening to former chapel (now
demolished) partly infilled; two-light window with 'Y' tracery. C19 vestry
on south side of chancel. Chancel windows with 'Y' and intersecting tracery.
Angle buttresses at east wall. Interior: good monument on south wall - cartouche
to Margaret Beevor (1716). Brasses in chancel to Edward and John Brampton (died
1622), Robert Brampton (died 1468) and his wife, and to John Brampton (died
1535) and his two wives. Cl9 roofs with king posts (nave) and arch-braced collars.
Octagonal font with shields set in quatrefoils.


Listing NGR: TG2197324610

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.