This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7178 / 52°43'4"N
Longitude: 1.3224 / 1°19'20"E
OS Eastings: 624485
OS Northings: 318529
OS Grid: TG244185
Mapcode National: GBR WGM.R3D
Mapcode Global: WHMT2.8YYB
Entry Name: Church of St Swithin
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228073
Location: Frettenham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: Frettenham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Frettenham
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 21 NW FRETTENHAM CHURCH LANE
2/26 Church of St. Swithin.
Parish Church. Fabric mainly of C14, with chancel rebuilt in 1869 by R.M.
Phipson. Flint, partly knapped and coursed, with limestone dressings. Slate
roofs; lead over aisles. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles,
south porch. West tower has staged buttresses with stone quoins and flushwork
panels, Coped tower parapet with simple corner pinnacles and brick quoins.
Western parapet dated 'T 1672 . R' in dark brick.lettering. Louvred belfry
openings with C14 traceried heads, square Decorated ringing chamber opening.
West window with C19 panel tracery. Small quatrefoil stair windows on south
side. Quatrefoil clerestorey windows; knapped and squared flintwork to upper
nave walls. Nave roof lowered : small blocked triangular headed opening above
new ridge line in east tower wall. Chancel entirely C19, but with a three
light Decorated window re-set in the south wall. Two light north and south
windows with simple geometrical tracery. Priest's door in south wall; blocked
doorway with segmental head in north wall. Aisles have angle buttresses with
flushwork panels; two and three light Decorated windows. South porch has
gable of knapped and squared flints with stone dressings and coping. South
doorway with demi-quatrefoil piers with keeled fillets, matching arcade piers.
Interior: Good three bay arcades with quatrefoil piers with keeled fillets;
arches with double wave-mouldings. Poppy-head bench ends in north aisle.
High level opening to rood stairs at south east corner of north aisle. Piscina
with cusped arched head. Tall blank opening with semi-circular arched head
on east side of north door. Octagonal font of Purbeck marble with blank
arcading : base and stem renewed. Blocked mediaeval north doorway in chancel,
probably re-set. Dropped-cill sedilia to south-east chancel window; fragments
of-mediaeval glass in tracery heads. Piscina with cusped head. C19 roof
structures : King post over nave, arch-braced collar with collar-runner and
wall posts over chancel.
Listing NGR: TG2448518529
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings