History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Colenso Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Marsham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7656 / 52°45'56"N

Longitude: 1.2552 / 1°15'18"E

OS Eastings: 619713

OS Northings: 323640

OS Grid: TG197236

Mapcode National: GBR VDN.L5L

Mapcode Global: WHMSV.7RZ5

Entry Name: Colenso Cottage

Listing Date: 18 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372970

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228027

Location: Marsham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Marsham

Built-Up Area: Marsham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Marsham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Marsham

Listing Text

TG 12 SE MARSHAM NORWICH ROAD
(west)
5/67
Colenso Cottage.

II

House, c.1700, extended 1837, of red brick and pantiles. 'L'-shaped plan,
of 2 storeys and attic with single storey at rear. Original building, 3
windows, with flint plinth, clasping pilasters with moulded brick capitals,
moulded brick plat band at first floor level at south and east and at attic
floor level on east gable. Central projecting brick door surround with moulded
brick cornice and segmental pediment. Faded dummy window over door with
segmental brick arch. C20 sash windows in reduced openings under flat brick
soldier arches at first floor level, under plat band at ground floor level.
C19 extension to east, 2 windows with C20 sash windows with gauged segmental
brick arches. Door to left with rendered brick surround. Eaves raised over
C18 section, to form brick dentil eaves over whole buildings. C18 single
storey wing at rear with brick dentil eaves. End gable stacks and off-centre
axial stack corresponding with the gable of the C18 house. Extension added
in 1837 as a Registry Office. Genealogists Magazine, Vol. 20 number 7
September 1981.


Listing NGR: TG1971323640

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.