This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7389 / 52°44'19"N
Longitude: 1.2895 / 1°17'22"E
OS Eastings: 622158
OS Northings: 320767
OS Grid: TG221207
Mapcode National: GBR VF2.8TQ
Mapcode Global: WHMT1.SF75
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228036
Location: Stratton Strawless, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10
Civil Parish: Stratton Strawless
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Stratton Strawless St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 22 SW
Church of St. Margaret
Parish church.C15 with alterations and partial rebuildings in C17 and C18. Flint with stone dressings; south aisle rendered, brick vestry; slate roofs, lead roof over south aisle. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch.
Squat C15 west tower with angle-buttresses. Two-light sound openings with foiled heads. Embattled parapet with corner pinnacles in the form of seated figures, those on the south-east and south-west renewed. South porchof flint with brick parapet; south doorway with engaged shafts. South aisle rebuilt in C17; three square headed two-light Perpendicular windows with panel tracery and drip moulds. Moulded brick and stone finial a south-east corner of aisle. Square headed three-light south window in chancel with Perpendicular tracery. East window restored in C19; small niche above window opening. North doorway with plain chamfered stone surround and brick arch. Two three-light windows with late Perpendicular tracery; bays divided by staged buttresses with flush work panels. C19 octagonal chimney with stone shaft on a brick and flint base. Small blocked opening with hollow chamfered stone surround.
Interior: South aisle with groin-vaulted ceiling houses fine C17 monuments to the Marsham family: at the east wall Thomas Marsham (d.1638), a marble effigy reclining on a black sarcophagus. On the south wall, kneeling figures of Henry Marsham (d.1678) and his family. The figures kneel on a ledge in front of a double niche surmounted by a scrolled pediment on Corinthian columns. South arcade of four bays with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches: three bays filled with 'Gothick' screen dividing nave and aisle. Roof continuous over nave and chancel; C18 arch-braced collar with king posts; wall posts supported on corbel heads, all identical. Traceried spandrels to arch-braces Wide elliptical (or flattened three-centred) chancel arch with Gothick screen, probably late C18. West gallery and organ loft masking western bay of arcade. Octagonal font with quatrefoils. Fragments of medieval glass in north and south windows. Good C14 reclining figure monument on nave north side. Good brass chandelier in nave with 25 branches in three tiers, probably early C18, said to have come from Russia.
Listing NGR: TG2215820767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings