This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6638 / 52°39'49"N
Longitude: 1.3251 / 1°19'30"E
OS Eastings: 624950
OS Northings: 312528
OS Grid: TG249125
Mapcode National: GBR WFY.9P
Mapcode Global: WHMTG.B98Q
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary and St Margaret
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372986
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228129
Location: Sprowston, Broadland, Norfolk, NR7
Civil Parish: Sprowston
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sprowston St Mary and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 21 SW SPROWSTON CHURCH LANE
4/61 Parish Church of St.
10/5/61 Mary and St. Margaret.
Parish Church, C14 and later, restored 1889. Built of brick and flint with
brick and stone dressings and lead and copper roofs. West tower, north aisle,
south porch, nave, clerestorey, north choir aisle, vestry, chancel and chancel
clerestorey. Tower rebuilt early C18 in red brick on flint base. 3 stages,
unbuttressed with west stair tower. Perpendicular style west window, circular
sound holes, and Perpendicular 2 light belfry openings, with 2 centred gauged
brick arches with stone key blocks. Battlemented parapet. North aisle 4 bays,
with 2 light windows with 'Y' tracery between buttresses of flint and stone
alternating with brick. North door with stoup to west. South porch with
engaged octagonal piers and entrance arch, with C19 sundial on gable apex.
South aisle has 4 bays with 3 Perpendicular 2 light windows with flat arches
between buttresses. 4 bay clerestorey, with 2 light Perpendicular windows,
the south side rebuilt 1725 with brick 2 centred arches with key blocks and
brick jambs. C19 vestry of flint and brick with east entrance door and terra-
cotta 3 light window. "Geometric" east window in chancel, 1867, flanked by
battered C14 buttresses. South wall rebuilt using 3 light Perpendicular windows
with flat arches, flanking Priest's Door with C19 semi-circular brick arch.
Medieval moulded plank south door. 4 bay nave arcades, early C14 to north.
Octagonal piers with base and capitals, with double chamfered arches moulded
stone corbel brackets between clerestorey windows. Blocked rood loft opening
in north wall. C19 aisle roofs, contain some medieval arch bracing. Piscina
in south aisle and C16 opening with flat battlemented arch possibly leading
to former Parclose loft. Double chamfered chancel arch with capitals, C19
nave roof with ovolo moulded tie beams. C15 piscina in north choir aisle.
Early C14 arch in north chancel wall. Embedded C14 capital and squint in south
aisle wall to west of dropped sill sedilia C14 vault under sanctuary. C19
Decorated piscina. C19 king post roof. Restored dado of C15 rood screen.
Table tomb of John Corbet, died 1559, and his wife. 3 lozenges with cusps
and shields, and a stone panel above containing brasses. Wall monument to
Miles Corbet, died 1607, and his two wives. He kneels, an obelisk behind him,
facing his 2 wives and 3 daughters. Marble surround with 2 obelisks at each
end. Below a tomb chest with the recumbent effigies of Thomas Corbet, died
1617, and his wife Ann. They lie on a chest, arcaded with strapwork decorated
pilasters. Wall monument with effigies of Christopher Knolles, died 1610,
and his family. Recess framed by Corithinian columns and entablature with
strapwork frieze and modillion cornice. In chancel, monument to Sir Thomas
Adams, died 1667, and his wife. Semi-reclining figures, one above the other.
Tomb chest with acanthus and cartouche, flanked by weeping putti and set against
a black marble tablet with shouldered architraves, 2 Corinthian columns and
entablature with segmental pediments. Other fine monuments to Nathanial
Micklethwait died 1757, Lady Wilhelmina Micklethwait, died 1807 and Sir Paul
Paynter died 1686. Listed Grade I for monuments.
Listing NGR: TG2495012528
Other nearby listed buildings