This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6342 / 52°38'3"N
Longitude: 1.2019 / 1°12'6"E
OS Eastings: 616767
OS Northings: 308868
OS Grid: TG167088
Mapcode National: GBR VG3.YGJ
Mapcode Global: WHLSG.F1LV
Entry Name: Lodge Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373047
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226418
Location: Bawburgh, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR9
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: Bawburgh
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Bawburgh St Mary and St Walstan
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
BAWBURGH NEW ROAD
TG 10 NE
Probably built as dower house for Grizell Wodehouse, nee Yelverton, therefore
1625 - 35. Small house with large western gable end stack. Mid C19 extension
to rear. Brick with pantiled roof. 2 storeys with attic. Crow-stepped gables
and steep-pitched roof. East gable rebuilt yet original window openings below
with chamfered reveals, double pediments above and inserted C19 tripartite
sashes. One original window opening in western gable-end beside stack; all
other gable-end windows blocked. One full length window opening on ground
floor of north side wall partially blocked and obscured by C20 lean-to.
Original entrance on south side wall. Original pargetted overmantels with
heraldry. On ground floor arms of Wodehouse family of Kimberley impaling
those of Yelverton family, thus Sir Philip Wodehouse (baronet) and Grizell
Yelverton. (Probably executed for Grizell after death of Sir Philip (1623)
because there is no indication of baronetcy in Wodehouse arms - it having
passed to his son.) Wild men supporters wielding clubs; helms with extravagant
mantling; crests of winged bird and clasped club with motto "Frape Fort" (sic).
At first floor royal arms of Charles I with inscription "Exurga Deus et
dissipentur inimici" (first line of psalm 68). Original fireplace with 4-
centred arch and decorated spandrels. To left of fireplace a plaster vine
scroll frieze follows the contour of the stair above. To right of fireplace
original panelled door with cock's head hinges. Winding stair to attic with
planked door, cock's head hinges and original latch and handle. Shallow arched
fireplace in attic; mainly original roof timbers.
Listing NGR: TG1676708868
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings